Parking Brake Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonSLT1016

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just recently brought a 03 gmc yukon slt , parking brake did not work - all cables were rotted & parking shoes were missing . installed 4 new cables,parking brake shoes, rotors, brake pads & a new parking brake lever assembly . my problem is vehicle is passing inspoection due to parking brake is not holding . was thinking i didnt adjust parking brake shoes properly but with rear wheels off the floor parking brake holds. with vehicle on the floor it doesnt . was told there is a adjustment at the lever - does anyone know the procedure of adjusting the parking brake at the lever ? or does someone have any suggestions on what i should double check . parking brake only holds when lever is just about on the floor .

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an adjuster sleave, but I cant remember if its below the drivers seat, or at the rear axle. Its where the 2 rear cables go into a union, to a single cable. Theres usually a threaded bolt on the end of one of those cables, with a nut.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just recently brought a 03 gmc yukon slt , parking brake did not work - all cables were rotted & parking shoes were missing . installed 4 new cables,parking brake shoes, rotors, brake pads & a new parking brake lever assembly . my problem is vehicle is passing inspoection due to parking brake is not holding . was thinking i didnt adjust parking brake shoes properly but with rear wheels off the floor parking brake holds. with vehicle on the floor it doesnt . was told there is a adjustment at the lever - does anyone know the procedure of adjusting the parking brake at the lever ? or does someone have any suggestions on what i should double check . parking brake only holds when lever is just about on the floor .
The shoes are to be set at .25mm of clearance from the drum in hat rotor. The adjuster is to be disabled before work is performed on the rear and then engaged afterwards which sets the pedal. I'm not in a position to post photos but they are on this forum.

OP
OP
Y

yukonSLT1016

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is an adjuster sleave, but I cant remember if its below the drivers seat, or at the rear axle. Its where the 2 rear cables go into a union, to a single cable. Theres usually a threaded bolt on the end of one of those cables, with a nut.
the intermittent parking brake cable no longer comes with a adjusting nut on it ,

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving suggestions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
Y

yukonSLT1016

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
still having issues with passing inspection due to parking brake , if someone can post pictures of how the cables are routed right before they attach to the parking brake shoes that would be appreciated? shoes are adjusted appropriately cause when rear is off the floor i cant turn the wheels with the parking brake on . tried looking on youtube on how to adjust foot lever but cant find much . there is no adjustment nut on the intermittent cable anymore . can someone please tell me is there supposed to be any clicking noise when applying the parking brake on these trucks?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still having issues with passing inspection due to parking brake , if someone can post pictures of how the cables are routed right before they attach to the parking brake shoes that would be appreciated? shoes are adjusted appropriately cause when rear is off the floor i cant turn the wheels with the parking brake on . tried looking on youtube on how to adjust foot lever but cant find much . there is no adjustment nut on the intermittent cable anymore . can someone please tell me is there supposed to be any clicking noise when applying the parking brake on these trucks?

Mine makes noise when applied.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shoes are adjusted appropriately cause when rear is off the floor i cant turn the wheels with the parking brake on
The proper way to -check- if they are adjusted, apply the parking brake fully, with the truck on the ground, and put in drive, and reverse. If the truck moves, then its no good.

Ulises Jimenez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced my rotors shoes and pads and I thought I had adjusted them and the parking brake held for about a week then went loose again. Adjusted it worked for a couple of days then lost the hold again. If I pump the E brake while holding the release sometimes it'll hold and sometimes it won't help at all. Anyone with any tips?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e