Overheating towing with Denali 6.2L - Losing my F'n mind!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Yes it did. I would say its a hair positive. I think the heat tape helped a bit.

I would still think there may be an issue with the radiator.

Back in the day you could get a radiator rodded out but it's probably nearly as cheap to just purchase a new one.

You could try having it "boiled out" if there is a local shop that can do it near you... but again, you may have better results with new... especially an upgraded one like the new Mishimoto.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would still think there may be an issue with the radiator.

Back in the day you could get a radiator rodded out but it's probably nearly as cheap to just purchase a new one.

You could try having it "boiled out" if there is a local shop that can do it near you... but again, you may have better results with new... especially an upgraded one like the new Mishimoto.

I can't swing the mishimoto right now unfortunately. I might just go with a cheaper stock one.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I can't swing the mishimoto right now unfortunately. I might just go with a cheaper stock one.

New stock is better than old clogged stock... lol

Alternately you could try some radiator flush OR remove the radiator and fill it with CLR and let it sit for a bit then flush it really good and reinstall... lol

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New stock is better than old clogged stock... lol

Alternately you could try some radiator flush OR remove the radiator and fill it with CLR and let it sit for a bit then flush it really good and reinstall... lol

Right now I just want to shoot it! Hot lead will clean it right!?!?! I will see what rockauto has.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Right now I just want to shoot it! Hot lead will clean it right!?!?! I will see what rockauto has.

I hate throwing parts at something and hoping it will fix it... but assuming your fans are functioning properly and to full capacity, my assumption would be a clogged radiator.

How many miles on the truck and how long have you owned it???

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of my trucks stay dead-nuts at 210° 100% of the time. The needle never moves. Only time they go higher is when I'm towing, and only then when I'm really working the engine.

Yeah I hate that.
Mine reads 210 all the time when actual temp on tech 2 is 195.
I would love to be able to “calibrate” the gauge to show actual temp.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate throwing parts at something and hoping it will fix it... but assuming your fans are functioning properly and to full capacity, my assumption would be a clogged radiator.

How many miles on the truck and how long have you owned it???

Just recently hit 200000. Owned it for about 5 years.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Yeah I hate that.

Same here... gauge shows 210... actual temp 192°.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I thought I saw trans temp

That was the other three transmission posts you are helping out on!

I read somewhere that the gauge is purposely slow and made to stay in the middle range so as not to alarm people.

Just recently hit 200000. Owned it for about 5 years.

I'm plum wore out Andy and have to sign off for the day. If I remember right you have a child due real soon and I reckon funds will be tight. You really need the services of a Tech2 and the shop manual. But take a look at the radiator's coolant. Green stuff is bad, and worse when mixed with Dexcool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts