Towing stability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any stability response/support in a 2021 Yukon Denali when towing without the factory brake controller installed? I'm towing 5300lbs w/Curt after-market brake controller + WDH and interested in towing info in general.

I understand the vehicle can't apply trailer braking (doesn't know about them) with Curt but I thought I read something about vehicle wheel braking / stability assist that could help a bit with sway based on general vehicle stability sensors? or is that just misinformation....
In all honesty, I don’t know. How it applies the brakes and manages stability without knowing there’s a trailer behind it could be counterproductive or productive, I reckon.

I’ve had the system engage a couple of times before in emergency avoidance situations, but never in response to a strong gust of wind. Really impressive to experience in the moment.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I don’t know. How it applies the brakes and manages stability without knowing there’s a trailer behind it could be counterproductive or productive, I reckon.

I’ve had the system engage a couple of times before in emergency avoidance situations, but never in response to a strong gust of wind. Really impressive to experience in the moment.
Went back and found the feature I read when purchasing the rig....
1711760920671.png
Based on you're comments, I'm guessing the "(if properly equipped)" means GMC integrated tow package.

On the other hand, a little google found these.....
This youtube (11 yrs ago) talks about stabilitrack supported sway control standard on all GMC vehicles and shows a single axle trailer (no brakes).

Here's another one (7 yrs old / truck) and says stabillitrack but shows/implies it's related to the OEM brake controller on a trailer w/brakes.

And another reference in 2021 features - https://www.hotcars.com/2021-gmc-yukon-coolest-features/ - but it's unclear if it's towing package related.
1711760832438.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019