oil pressure and tick/knocking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of oil pressure should i be seeing at idle? i think mines a bit low it shows anywhere between 18-20 psi at idle and about 40 on the highway. is this normal? and its also been making a ticking/knocking sound under load and at certain rpms any help on this would be awesome! thanks guys. i will get a video of the tick/knock that it makes soon

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
your fine, it also depends on the weight of the oil. Rule of thumb is 1 psi for every 100 RPM.

I've seen race engines at like 10-15 at idle.

if your talking the motors in the trucks you have in your sig, the motors always have a lifter tick/noise, very common on the LS based engines.

OP
OP
04SS99Denali

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your fine, it also depends on the weight of the oil. Rule of thumb is 1 psi for every 100 RPM.

I've seen race engines at like 10-15 at idle.

if your talking the motors in the trucks you have in your sig, the motors always have a lifter tick/noise, very common on the LS based engines.

i run m1 5-30 in both my trucks

i can hear the lifters tick in my SS i know thats common but the yukon is ALOT louder its almost like a tapping sound. im thinking it might be a collapsed lifter or maybe a bearing? no metal in the oil so im not that concerned. but ive been saying to myself that i hope its just a bad exhaust leak cause i dont feel like tearing down the motor lol.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
Mine sits at about 40 at idle and ticks as well. I know mines a collapsed lifter though bc my exhaust will suck in air along with the tapping. To rule out the lifter hold a piece of paper in front of your tail pipe and see if it tries to pull it in.

OP
OP
04SS99Denali

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine sits at about 40 at idle and ticks as well. I know mines a collapsed lifter though bc my exhaust will suck in air along with the tapping. To rule out the lifter hold a piece of paper in front of your tail pipe and see if it tries to pull it in.

i will give it a try thanks

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

I use 10w-30 and have about 20-25 at idle, only 87,000 miles tho.

yea ive talked to many people and some say its normal and some say its to low but it runs very smooth so im not gonna complain. besides its just a beater lol

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The people giving you advice is using old technology to diagnose a new engine problem. It is not the lifters ticking inside of the engine if it is a 5.3 or 6.0 L engine. It is piston slap inside of the cylinders.

The lifters for the most part is roller hydraulic and they do not pump up.
There is no lash setting for the rocker arms.

Low oil pressure is usually caused by several things. The most common is a worn oil pump. If the oil pump is worn, then there will be a 100% chance that the main, rod and camshaft bearings will also be worn.

Replacing one without replacing the others is a short term fix.

The oil pump in the 5.3 and 6.0 L engine is not on the flywheel side of the crankshaft like in the older generations of engine and none of that stuff about low oil pressure being ok - applies to that engine.

My advice is to either use a heavier oil, or have it rebuilt or run it till it blows.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
well he has the old vortec 5.7s, so it wouldnt be piston slap.

my truck runs around 40 psi for a tbi at idle and about 50ish on freeway.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, I should have been more detailed, the lifter ticking 'issue' per 'se....since 1999 the piston slap has always been there on the LS based engine, most referred too as lifter tick.

PS it's not only the 5.3 and 6.0, same issue on 4.8's as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada