oil pressure and tick/knocking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
dumb GM, lol my granny prix had a lifter stick problem, put castrol edge 5w30 in it and a quart of that lucas oil treatment, hasnt made a sound since even through the winter here in PA, about 0 degrees when i start her up in the morning.

OP
OP
04SS99Denali

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The people giving you advice is using old technology to diagnose a new engine problem. It is not the lifters ticking inside of the engine if it is a 5.3 or 6.0 L engine. It is piston slap inside of the cylinders.

The lifters for the most part is roller hydraulic and they do not pump up.
There is no lash setting for the rocker arms.

Low oil pressure is usually caused by several things. The most common is a worn oil pump. If the oil pump is worn, then there will be a 100% chance that the main, rod and camshaft bearings will also be worn.

Replacing one without replacing the others is a short term fix.

The oil pump in the 5.3 and 6.0 L engine is not on the flywheel side of the crankshaft like in the older generations of engine and none of that stuff about low oil pressure being ok - applies to that engine.

My advice is to either use a heavier oil, or have it rebuilt or run it till it blows.

if its something bad im just going to run it till it dies its just my beater. and worst case if it blows up ill get to put something more fun in it :).i am talking about my 5.7. my 6.0 has great oil pressure i know shes running good and strong

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

well he has the old vortec 5.7s, so it wouldnt be piston slap.

my truck runs around 40 psi for a tbi at idle and about 50ish on freeway.

mine is almost at 50 on the highway also it just drops down alot at idle

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwflorian