Oil pan gasket and pickup tube seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah-ha. I found it. We are using the wrong stuff!! The front and rear covers + oil pan use GM 12378190 which has been superseded to 19333512.

Here is a partial install steps for front and rear cover

Front cover
  1. Apply a 5 mm (0.20 inch) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190, or equivalent 20 mm (0.80 inch) long to the oil pan to engine block junction.
Rear cover
  1. Apply a 5 mm (0.20 inch) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190, or equivalent 20 mm (0.80 inch) long to the oil pan to engine block junction.
And here is the stuff we are supposed to use..

31jFmL+TFzL._AC_SY400_.jpg

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah so it looks like that permatex would work as well.

Now on to check the pan gasket..to see if the original design has been superseded.

Edit: the oil pan gasket is correct.

New part number is 12612350. Thats what I bought and put in. Probably can't source an old one anyway besides eBay.

It's interesting to note that more than a few people on Amazon are reporting leaks after a week or two with the new one. Kind of like what I experienced. Some are also crying foul...complaining of the new gasket being cheaper. Supposedly it is now made from a multi sectional puzzle piece type assembly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So maybe not use a GM gasket?

Possibly. More likely I installed it wrong or indeed used the wrong sealant.

Reviews of other aftermarket brand oil pan gaskets seem to have their leak complaints as well. This might suggest installation error...or some type of engineering design oversight. With all the different LS blocks that use this gasket we can pretty much rule that out.

I think what i'll do next is buy a Felpro and Dana (Victor Reinz)...and compare all three.

Last edited:

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FEL-PRO for your '05 will be P/N; OS30693R This is a Quality Gasket and the price reflects that.

Last edited:

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's probably what I am going to go with. Still a month or so away from tackling this project.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the FEL-PRO gasket with the ACDELCO sealant?
I did not use any sealant. The instructions that came with the gasket said self sealing no sealant required but I should of put some in the corners. If you feel you have to use sealant use it. The correct torque and tightening sequence is very important to a leak free installation. If the front of the oil pan,wire harness and transmission cooler lines are covered in oil and dirt cleaning them first is going to save you having to clean them later. I put my truck up on ramps at a car wash and blasted the entire underside of the truck.

Last edited:

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I'll stick to the instructions like you did. Just wanted to make sure I get everything before I start. I'll add a torque wrench to the list. Good idea with the cleaning. I know it's a real mess under there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879