Oil pan gasket and pickup tube seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the pan gasket on mine, it was covered in oil, replaced it and it was bone dry in the pan area, then I discovered a new leak. It seems to be coming from the passenger area by the riveted spot. At first I thought it could be the rivet but looking at it, I think its just one of the bolts that go on the side bearing caps thats leaking. Since it only does it in that area and it drips below it. My rear main is a mess though and it needs to be replaced. I might take pics to post in a new thread if I get the honor of doing such a lovely task.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the pan gasket on mine, it was covered in oil, replaced it and it was bone dry in the pan area, then I discovered a new leak. It seems to be coming from the passenger area by the riveted spot. At first I thought it could be the rivet but looking at it, I think its just one of the bolts that go on the side bearing caps thats leaking. Since it only does it in that area and it drips below it. My rear main is a mess though and it needs to be replaced. I might take pics to post in a new thread if I get the honor of doing such a lovely task.

Mine had oil in that same location before removing the pan. It also had oil up and inside the bell housing where you remove the flywheel inspection cap. However, up along the flywheel and block where rear main is, is dry as a bone. I'm not sure how that oil got there but wasn't from the rear main seal thank god.

Before you ever do a rear main seal fix, put AT 205 reseal in your crankcase. If there seal is just dried up a bit that will help dramatically. It may fix it all together. I run it as a precaution every couple oil changes.

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been following this thread. I've diagnosed my oil pan gasket as leaking for sure. Just want to make sure I get the right gasket and figure out if I should or should not use RTV sealant. Definitely don't want to have to do this twice.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been following this thread. I've diagnosed my oil pan gasket as leaking for sure. Just want to make sure I get the right gasket and figure out if I should or should not use RTV sealant. Definitely don't want to have to do this twice.
I would definately use rtv where the other two covers meet the block, the rear main cover and front timing cover. The RTV goes along their seams. It is debated if that is required, however, rebuild manual calls for RTV along those four seams.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Same thinking here. Just hold on a bit. I can do the research if needed unless someone else wants to take the lead. We need to figure out first if there really is a 5.3 gasket design change for our year. Then we need to know what specific problem is it supposed to fix. I swear I installed my gasket right...but those waffle printed areas on the gasket make me think this wasn't meant for the LM7 engine. Or...as you said...maybe RTV really is an absolute no-no.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definately use rtv where the other two covers meet the block, the rear main cover and front timing cover. The RTV goes along their seams. It is debated if that is required, however, rebuild manual calls for RTV along those four seams.

Yes...what type of sealant/RTV does GM recommend for the front timing chain and rear main covers? Is it an "anerobic sealant" or RTV? Because they should both be the same as the gaps being filled are similar and right next to each other.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think permatex has a compatible version of the AC delco GM stuff. I believe is a high temp selant. But I sprung for ac delco stuff just to be safe.e565a8b243725627e30a9e90ab94d869.jpg

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its this stuff.

51YSDqfyOZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Like I said previously..its like that pipe thread sealant you put on gas pipe thread. Or like the pre-applied stuff you see on sensors ...like the water temp sensor. It's made to fill in a minute gap.

What has me scratching my head is ...why in the heck wouldn't a pan gasket be sufficient to fulfill this task instead of a thin film of this stuff? Wierd.

Last edited:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its this stuff. Like I said previously..its like that pipe thread sealant you put on gas pipe thread. Or like the pre-applied stuff you see on sensors ...like the water temp sensor. It's made to fill in a minute gap.

What has me scratching my head is ...why in the heck wouldn't a pan gasket be sufficient to fulfill this task instead of a thin film of this stuff? Wierd.

View attachment 218992
Not sure, the gasket appears to be designed with that in mind. However, I just wanted to be careful after reading the instructions you shared. My guess is in hindsight thay the rtv does a better job squeezing up and into the seams than the gasket could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65