Oil not showing full on dipstick until 9 qts. were put in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheZappster99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a 2004 Tahoe LT with the 5.3L. Recently I took it in for an oil change at a jiffy lube or something similar (I know I know, but I needed it done quick). They gave me the car back and were asking me if I had the 5.3 in it and if I had an aftermarket oil pan or something. I told them it was the 5.3, and that I did not have any aftermarket parts related to the oil. They proceeded to tell me they had to put 9 quarts of oil in for the dip stick to read as full . The oil capacity for these things is supposed to be about 6 qts, but at 6 qts, it wouldnt register on the dip stick.

I remember last time I took it to a dealership I work at and they royally screwed a lot of things up. First thing I checked was the oil and I did not see any oil on it, so I thought they had not filled it . Now I'm thinking they had filled it to 6 qts, but as we know now, that doesn't put it on the stick for me. They had also somehow messed up two of my spark plugs while it was in there, so maybe it could have affected the dip stick as well.

I believe I have a small oil leak, but I don't think it's that my dipstick tube is not all the way in or anything . I've been told it's from a rear main seal.

My next plan is to maybe order a genuine GM dipstick, even though I had it replaced with a genuine one a year or two ago due to it snapping. Maybe they lost my dipstick and ordered one that wasn't correct?

Any ideas for what I can check? I've never heard of this issue before . I've been light on the throttle lately because I don't want it to blow up. Thanks guys.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Pull your dipstick out and measure length from o ring to full mark. I'll compare to mine and see if we can source any discrepancy

Also depends how they measure their oil. If they have the little dispensing guns that run to a main tank, those need to be calibrated periodically or they can be quite far off

Also its jiffy lube... We're they checking the right dipstick with the engine off?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, make sure you have 6 quarts in it and no more. Since you can't go off the dipstick, you're gonna have to drain it and pour in a known 6 quarts. Drain it into a clean pan so you can reuse it if it's "good" oil.

Second, make sure you have the correct dipstick. You may be able to read the part number on it. Or you can measure it and have one of us compare ours. This exact subject was brought up a few months back but I doubt you'll be able to find the particular thread or post.

Maybe your dipstick tube has been partially pulled out? It's in a tough spot to inspect, but there's a flared lip around it that should be flush against the boss in the block.

OP
OP
T

TheZappster99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Out of town currently, but I'll be back Tuesday and I can let you know the exact measurement of how long it is. Thanks for the replys. I'll definitely drain it and put exactly 6 qts in, and reuse it because they charged me $110 for an oil change! (High mileage synthetic blend though). Thanks again guys, if you guys find time to measure your dipstick and let me know what you find, I'd appreciate it!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... if you guys find time to measure your dipstick and let me know what you find, I'd appreciate it!

I'm starting to recall that other thread more vividly now 'cuz it went the way this one might be headed. Just gotta see if a few select clowns stumble in. Damned gutter-minded kids always thinking about their wee-wees...

OP
OP
T

TheZappster99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm starting to recall that other thread more vividly now 'cuz it went the way this one might be headed. Just gotta see if a few select clowns stumble in. Damned gutter-minded kids always thinking about their wee-wees...

Yeah I realised what it sounded like when I sent it.. I guess I'm one of those gutter minded kids!

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Out of town currently, but I'll be back Tuesday and I can let you know the exact measurement of how long it is. Thanks for the replys. I'll definitely drain it and put exactly 6 qts in, and reuse it because they charged me $110 for an oil change! (High mileage synthetic blend though). Thanks again guys, if you guys find time to measure your dipstick and let me know what you find, I'd appreciate it!
Goddamn.

I spend like 50-55 for full syn and really nice filter. And the front end actually gets lubed. Perks of DIYing I guess

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn for $110 bucks they had better be giving g you SOMETHING REAL NICE with your oil change! Lol that’s a lot of money for an oil change......

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they were using a dispenser out of a barrel, maybe they were reading it upside down.I dunno i’m Curious to hear the outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442