Oil dipstick burnt/warped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anybody else's dipstick do this? you can see in my photos where it is a darker black color and now it is warped in that section apparently this part is near the exhaust manifold, I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this or if it is unusual, I notice when I pull it out and the engine is warmed up the oil will smoke off the stick right there as well. just trying to figure out if I need to address this in some manner.oil1.jpg oil.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. I know mine's a discolored around the bend where it's near the manifold but I can't say it's warped. Also, mine's flat and not twisted like yours. Is the twisted stick a 6.2 or newer year model thing?

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. I know mine's a discolored around the bend where it's near the manifold but I can't say it's warped. Also, mine's flat and not twisted like yours. Is the twisted stick a 6.2 or newer year model thing?
it must be, I ordered a new dipstick and it looks like the tube just gets a hair to close to the manifold right there, I may try to bend the tube a little bit farther away from the manifold, dipstick is only $16 so I guess if the first one lasted this long no biggie I just noticed it warping out of shape recently from the heat. Otherwise maybe I can fashion some type of heat shield to slip on the tube

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it must be, I ordered a new dipstick and it looks like the tube just gets a hair to close to the manifold right there, I may try to bend the tube a little bit farther away from the manifold, dipstick is only $16 so I guess if the first one lasted this long no biggie I just noticed it warping out of shape recently from the heat. Otherwise maybe I can fashion some type of heat shield to slip on the tube
can you measure your flat dipstick? I wonder if they are the same length, seems to me the flat one would hold up better.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you measure your flat dipstick? I wonder if they are the same length, seems to me the flat one would hold up better.

You wanna publicly compare our dipsticks? This is mildly unsettling. But, I'll do it for you. Just this once and it stays between us- got it? Gimme a few mins to hype myself up.

...By "flat", you mean flaccid?

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wanna publicly compare our dipsticks? This is mildly unsettling. But, I'll do it for you. Just this once and it stays between us- got it? Gimme a few mins to hype myself up.

...By "flat", you mean flaccid?

big.JPG

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine measures 29 1/8" from the tip to the hilt

Mine's longer: 31 7/8" from the underside of the flange where the handle bottoms against the tube to the tip. No, I didn't squash down the base. :emotions33:

I also took a better look at the coloration and it's really not discolored at all. Mine's made up of two pieces riveted together. The top half coming from the handle is thicker, the bottom half is almost half as thick. The bottom half is darker amber than the top, but it's pretty consistent throughout.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine's longer: 31 7/8" from the underside of the flange where the handle bottoms against the tube to the tip. No, I didn't squash down the base. :emotions33:

I also took a better look at the coloration and it's really not discolored at all. Mine's made up of two pieces riveted together. The top half coming from the handle is thicker, the bottom half is almost half as thick. The bottom half is darker amber than the top, but it's pretty consistent throughout.
ok thanks for checking, I guess i'm making a heat shield at some point. any suggestion for material? I think all it has to do is deflect direct heat so i'm thinking aluminum, the good hardware store may have something on the shelf I can just trim and drill a bolt hole in and mount it right to the tube
i'm thinking of something like a sliding glass door security lock, the kind that just mounts to the slot so the door cant be opened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos