Oil dipstick burnt/warped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks for checking, I guess i'm making a heat shield at some point. any suggestion for material? I think all it has to do is deflect direct heat so i'm thinking aluminum, the good hardware store may have something on the shelf I can just trim and drill a bolt hole in and mount it right to the tube
i'm thinking of something like a sliding glass door security lock, the kind that just mounts to the slot so the door cant be opened.

I once made a small heat shield by wrapping cardboard in aluminum from the wall of a cut open and flattened beer can. I think it was actually two cans. But the cardboard was fully encased and it had plenty of self-supportive rigidity.

My first though was to use spark plug boot socks. Here's a two pack of the socks on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-11077-Spark-Insulator/dp/B000VTUFJG

...and even cheaper on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Dodge-...Insulation-Wrap-Road-Race-Black-/182238777291

Because of the bracket holding the tube to the head, you'll have to unbolt and remove the dipstick tube and slide the sock(s) on from the bottom. The socks are about 6" long, so if the high heat area falls within this range, you could slip the other sock over the first one and have double the insulation. Or overlap them so the overlapped part is double-insulated and centered over the high heat area and the remaining single-insulated part is just extra, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mine is twisted on the lower section (after the rivets) also, and measures the same 29 1/8"6b1a27385cfbe08a39ff61763ba32db0.jpg

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is twisted on the lower section (after the rivets) also, and measures the same 29 1/8"6b1a27385cfbe08a39ff61763ba32db0.jpg

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
I'LL see what the new one looks like tomorrow, but pictures online showed it twisted end to end, what year/model/engine is yours?

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 yukon denali 6.2l

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
thanks, that's what mine is also I went and looked at the dipstick again it does have a straight portion at the top, my tube must be bent wrong I looked down in there while it was cool and the tube looks pretty fried but I don't have any other tube to reference for the bend I guess I will ordering a new tube as well.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember doing the tube on my nbs it was pain in the dick to get the new one back in I think we finally did it with one person holding it at the bottom and another pushing from the top

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a new tube and stick $30, heat wrapped the new tube, installed and got it up to normal temp and it didn't smoke when pulled the stick like it used to so hopefully that's that, the old tube seemed to have a slightly different bend making it pass closer to the exhaust manifold. Like maybe 1/8"

IMG_20190413_132540.jpg

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a race / parts shop for heat shielding..... Then go to ACE Hardware for a selection of metal material. They have a neat choice of stock pieces that are small / slim. Then attach the heat shield material to it / attach metal strip to tube w/ metal straps. ( I have done this to race engines )

You will want a shield that "hides" the tube from heat. ( 1 1/4" x 10" ).
Just wrapping tube won't be enough)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a race / parts shop for heat shielding..... Then go to ACE Hardware for a selection of metal material. They have a neat choice of stock pieces that are small / slim. Then attach the heat shield material to it / attach metal strip to tube w/ metal straps. ( I have done this to race engines )

You will want a shield that "hides" the tube from heat. ( 1 1/4" x 10" ).
Just wrapping tube won't be enough)
I will keep this mind if it gives me any more problems, with the slight different bend and the heat wrap tape it no longer burns the oil on the stick when I pull it out, before it would be smoking like a burger on a bbq.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645