Oil Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot comment with any authority on what GM will or will not do regarding your warranty, if you install an oil catch can. My layperson opinion is that an oil catch can won't void any warranty. You could contact in writing the GM Regional Customer Service Rep in your area, and ask the question. Give the Rep the specific information on your planned oil catch can purchase in your submittal, and ask them to state whether or not the installation of an oil catch can will void your warranty. They are obligated to respond to you in writing, though there is no guarantee that their response will be definitive.

I purchased a JLT oil catch can from Summit Racing for $149, and I am fully satisfied with it. The instructions were clear, and they covered more than one generation of truck, so that it was clear what needed to be done, regardless of your model year with their slight differences in plumbing. The kit included everything that was needed, and I did not have to cut any of the supplied hoses to make it fit - truly bolt on. That said, there is no rocket science behind the design and operation of an oil catch can, and I am reasonably sure that the $30 oil catch cans sold on Amazon will accomplish the same objective.

Oil Catch Can Installed.jpg

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for posting pics of your cans.
Just picked up my 2021 RST a month ago (tomorrow).

As you can imagine buying all kinds of things for your rigs takes time. I for one am a believer of the catch cans. Been using one since 2011 with my L99 Camaro SS. I believe that was elite engineering. Few hrs later I sold my camaro and got a Jeep GC hemi and went with a billet technology can. That can was also superb and collected about 2-3 oz between oil changes. I sold the hemi a few hrs later and got another GC but this time a 3.6 and also went with the billet can. On the v6, man those things literally leak oil into the intake that I had a full 5oz of oil every 2500 miles. Mind you I was changing oil at 5k intervals. I’d say I had the most experience with the v6 can and how well it worked the longest as I was planning to keep that rig until it stalled on me and I said bye bye.

Anyway, so I really want to get one for my tahoe now but what are the best out there currently. Billet I know of. I did buy a garbage one on my L99 prior to billet, can’t recall the name of that one.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone from SoCal purchase a JLT can? Their website says they can’t ship to Cali due to carb BS.

d0wnShifT

Reaction score
I hate California. I'd be willing to ship it to you if you send it to my address in South Carolina. PM me if you're interested.

Reaction score
Anyone from SoCal purchase a JLT can? Their website says they can’t ship to Cali due to carb BS.
Although I have a 2018, as a CA resident, I used Summit Racing (3rd party) to buy a JLT 3.0 catch can. I had previously tried Amazon, but they cancelled my order based on shipping address.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for the offer and ideas. I'm actually thinking I will skip JLT and go with another brand can I've used in the past. Hopefully the order goes thru. I'll keep you posted.

Something similar happened with my last ride and a product like range. Never had an issue with Range shipping to me either, so will for sure go back to them once they have the 21's version.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for the offer and ideas. I'm actually thinking I will skip JLT and go with another brand can I've used in the past. Hopefully the order goes thru. I'll keep you posted.

Something similar happened with my last ride and a product like range. Never had an issue with Range shipping to me either, so will for sure go back to them once they have the 21's version.
Update:
Pulled the trigger on an Elite catch can and order went thru. Shipped today and getting here Sunday.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Pulled the trigger on an Elite catch can and order went thru. Shipped today and getting here Sunday.
Update:I got my can a few days ago and decided to install today. Pretty straight forward after figuring some things out. Recommend using or at least looking at both elite and JLT instructions on install.

Attachments

• 1BCCE1C0-CF1B-4E99-BCEB-AC511CB18203.jpeg
    1BCCE1C0-CF1B-4E99-BCEB-AC511CB18203.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 8447B226-3FA6-4F36-89E4-F3C8E238515D.jpeg
    8447B226-3FA6-4F36-89E4-F3C8E238515D.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 30
  • E781DF5B-64CF-41BB-9E6E-3B71D822D007.jpeg
    E781DF5B-64CF-41BB-9E6E-3B71D822D007.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 30

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can not tell from the pic but do you have the Elite center input connected to the dirty side under the throttle body? Maybe not connected in the pic it looks like it is heading to the side manifold input rather than the dirty side under the throttle body on the front of the engine..

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went back to double check and rearrange my hoses from previous pic.

Attachments

• BADD657D-E3E1-4E1C-8FFD-2E13AB547AFC.jpeg
    BADD657D-E3E1-4E1C-8FFD-2E13AB547AFC.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 17