Official 00-06 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade drop guide with pics...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04charcoalhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Vehicle: 2006 Tahoe LS 2WD

Shop that installed the lowering kit in Fort Lauderdale:
California Custom Sport Trucks
http://www.calcustoms.com/

Kit purchased:
NORCAL SS CUSTOM 3/5-6 Tahoe Yukon lowering kit.
http://tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=88

This kit fits all 2wd/4x4 00-06 Tahoes, Yukons, etc... without Autoride. Here is the complement of parts contained within the kit.

- Front DJM 3 Inch A Arms
- Front Belltech Street Performance Shocks
- Rear NORCAL SS Custom 6" Springs.
- Rear Belltech 1 inch spacers (makes it adjustable to 5")
- Rear DJM hardware kit with trailing arms, end links and shock extenders
- Rear Belltech Street Performance Shocks
- Spohn Adjustable Pan Hard Bar (purchased separately from kit)
- Helper Bags Part Number 60742 (purchased separately from kit)

Advertised drop
- 3" front
- 5-6" rear

Fender lip to ground measurements before the drop:
The tape shows over 36"

Fender lip to ground measurements after the first 500 miles (Sept 2014):
Right front 33 3/4"
Left front 33 1/2"
Right rear 34"
Left rear 33 7/8" (with full tank of gas)

Fender lip to ground measurements after 8 months (April 2015):
- Right Front:33"
- Left Front: 33"
- Left Rear: 33 7/8"
- Right Rear, 33 9/16"

Wheels & Tires:
- Wheels: 20" matte black LTZ reps with +31mm offset.
- Tires : Bridgestone Dueler Alenza HL 275/55/20.

Brief impressions of setup:
The truck rides pretty sweet. I do have the spacers still in there and the helper bags with less than 5 psi. The shop did not do the free travel mod and only cut the OEM bump stops down a bit. I was a little pissed initially as I had asked them to do this (perhaps there was a miscommunication about the bump stop bracket and the bump stops themselves) and the red bump stops that Tony includes with the kit went missing.

I spoke to Tony about the free travel mod, sent him pictures and he suggested to me that if I was happy with the ride to just leave it. Let the air out of the bags and bring the rear down a touch and call it a day. Another inch would be great for looks, but honestly the ride is really nice. And the fenderwell gap is gone from stock. I really do not have any complaints about this set up, the kit or the ride. The shop sorted me out with a second alignment one week later for free after something got knocked out of whack. That was really nice.

It drives and handles so much better than stock. The Tahoe holds the road, corners better, doesn't dip and dive or bounce around so much over bumps.

Happy that I decided to go with the 3/5-6 kit rather than the 2/3 kit. I scoured the TYF before I chose the kit, emailed back and forth with Tony for ideas, found this thread and then wanted to contribute for the next guys wanting to make the same decisions that I made. I was nervous about changing the OEM setup, but it might be my favorite modification as the entire look of the truck is changed. From there, everything else just complements the stance.

Here are some progression pictures. There are more pictures in my build thread. Thanks for reading and if you are on the fence, just do it. Ask another TYF member or email Tony. You will love it!!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on Tony's 3/5-6 kit with the panhard bar and wanted to see what you still think off it since you have had it installed a while now. So your only 3" in the front with LCAs? No tb keys turned down at all? Just what came in his kit? Love the look of your truck. I'm on 24" tbss also with 295/35/22s and a mcgaughys 2/3 that my wife hates lol.

DDenali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04charcoalhoe would you be selling when you get the drop your after. If so I'd like to purchase the kit

04charcoalhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
04charcoalhoe would you be selling when you get the drop your after. If so I'd like to purchase the kit

Yes I would be selling everything that comes off. Spindles, springs, shocks, shock extenders, and overload bags. I'll keep you posted.

deepend

Reaction score
I have tonys 3/5-6 kit and its been about 10 months now and it rides really well. It seems to tighten up even more now meaning it seems to settle in more and is even more responsive. I can take corners like a car and its a 4wd.
I'm ready to pull the trigger on Tony's 3/5-6 kit with the panhard bar and wanted to see what you still think off it since you have had it installed a while now. So your only 3" in the front with LCAs? No tb keys turned down at all? Just what came in his kit? Love the look of your truck. I'm on 24" tbss also with 295/35/22s and a mcgaughys 2/3 that my wife hates lol.

04charcoalhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have tonys 3/5-6 kit and its been about 10 months now and it rides really well. It seems to tighten up even more now meaning it seems to settle in more and is even more responsive. I can take corners like a car and its a 4wd.

Awesome to hear. Question, does the 4wd Tahoe and 2wd Tahoe both end up the same ride height after lowering? And do you have any pics of your truck?

deepend

Reaction score
Awesome to hear. Question, does the 4wd Tahoe and 2wd Tahoe both end up the same ride height after lowering? And do you have any pics of your truck?
I would assume they do. I dont see why they wouldnt. I dont think the drivetrain has anything to do with the height you can make it. Yes i have picture but not of before only after. Give me abit and i will upload them.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@04charcoalhoe

Thanks man.
Love that charcoal color and those TBSS really set off your paint.

Click on my build thread and the following pages have plenty of pictures and write up info. Pages 7, 19, 41.

The 3/5-6 kit is awesome all put together with the panhard bar and Airlift helper bags. Even though I run them mostly at 0psi, they are there if I need some cushion. The free travel mod is a must for better rear end travel when you go this low. I did not do it for many months and it made a big difference when I finally did. My keys are turned down a bit in the front as that pretty much leveled out the truck after I removed the rear spacer. I have no issues with travel unless I fly over the train tracks (that was only to test after the free travel mod) and only a bit of rub at full lock on the inside of the front liners.

Overall very happy with how she sits and rides. Sure 24s and low is close to the road and no comparison to riding on 20s, but she does handle a bit better and the looks....well that is enough reason to get her down there. Hope this helps a bit. Hit me up if you need anything more. Good luck. :waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz