Need new shocks... thinking of a 2/3 drop... advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at 175k miles my front shocks are toast. I’m thinking about running some drop shocks (McG? Belltech?) for a 2/3” drop... anyone else done this? Does it actually drop 2/3” and is the ride comfortable? Seems like everyone prefers to do the spindle drop but since my shocks need replacement this might make more sense.

Oh and I don't have autoride or anything fancy.

Thanks,
Cyrus

IMG-6326.jpg

Last edited:

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Sweet ride! I, too, have been researching drops and I believe I’ll be going with Belltech 2/4 drop without autoride as they have progressive spring rates. I don’t believe McG has that (might want to double check). I contacted Belltech directly for help in determining what kit I should use for street performance over OEM ride quality and they got back to my pretty quickly. Good luck! I’m sure others will respond as well.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at 175k miles my front shocks are toast. I’m thinking about running some drop shocks (McG? Belltech?) for a 2/3” drop... anyone else done this? Does it actually drop 2/3” and is the ride comfortable? Seems like everyone prefers to do the spindle drop but since my shocks need replacement this might make more sense.

Oh and I don't have autoride or anything fancy.

Thanks,
Cyrus

View attachment 262331

Shocks don't drop. The front has struts and the rear has shocks. I have the Belltech struts in the front. No complaints at all. I have no experience with the McG struts. For the rear, you'll need coils to drop it. If you're replacing the shocks, get shorter ones that accompany the amount of drop you get from your coils. Or, if you're not gonna replace the rear shocks, you can use 2" shock extenders since it's only a 3" drop.

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I am leaning towards McGaughy's front and rear drop shocks (they have great reviews) and Belltechs springs for the rear (bc they're progressive).

Are spindles easier on the front axles than just drop shocks? I am trying not to sacrifice any other part of the truck by lowering it!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I am leaning towards McGaughy's front and rear drop shocks (they have great reviews) and Belltechs springs for the rear (bc they're progressive).

Are spindles easier on the front axles than just drop shocks? I am trying not to sacrifice any other part of the truck by lowering it!

As far as the axles are concerned, drop is drop. You'll only get about 1.75" of drop outta the spindles, though. If you want that full 2" drop in the front, you should go for the STRUTS.

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I went ahead and ordered the Belltech kit (drop struts). While I'm in there, is there anything else I should replace on the front struts? Like the mount or bearing? Are those common wear items?

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Since you’ll remove your calipers... would be a good time to paint them red while you have them hanging from a bungee. I’ve heard others on here gain 10-15 hp by doing so. :signs8:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I went ahead and ordered the Belltech kit (drop struts). While I'm in there, is there anything else I should replace on the front struts? Like the mount or bearing? Are those common wear items?

At ~190K ish miles, mine were totally fine. It's just a plate with studs that doesn't move, so nothing to wear out. I guess it could rust out if you live in a rusty area. I wish I had gotten new boots, though. See if yours are torn and have those on hand.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstien 5100 and do the front drop with knuckles and you will have a fantastic looking, riding, and driving truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC