Need new shocks... thinking of a 2/3 drop... advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstien 5100 and do the front drop with knuckles and you will have a fantastic looking, riding, and driving truck.

While that does sound like a good setup, it is definitely a lot more expensive than the Belltech setup AND I hesitate to use "factory replacement" shocks on a lowered vehicle as they often blow early due to the increased stress.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paying strict attention to this thread.
Question is this setup suitable for towing?(jetski, small Bass Boat and maybe a small Travel Trailer) You guys didn't mention if you tow any toys - so i will assume that you dont.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that does sound like a good setup, it is definitely a lot more expensive than the Belltech setup AND I hesitate to use "factory replacement" shocks on a lowered vehicle as they often blow early due to the increased stress.

I have the Bilstiens in my old 4 runner.. Love them.. I have heard about using knuckles.. supposed to be fairly effortless and works well.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You get what you pay for and suspension and tires are the absolute worst place to go cheap because it'll ruin the entire driving experience. The drop knuckles in the front keep the front suspension geometry completely stock (the drop is from the knuckle, not a shorter shock and/or spring) and the shock extenders in the rear will keep the rear shock at very close to the stock length. Use the McGaughys extenders as they drop the shocks down a good bit more than the Belltech ones which really just move the shock mount further back. I'm using this suspension setup with Mag Ride and it rides and drives exactly like stock plus I added the Eibach sway bars to help with handling. If I hadn't already replaced all four shocks before I lowered, I likely would have deleted the Mag Ride and gone with the 5100s.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 91rs,
For the sake of argument what is roughly the cost difference? are we talking $1k or less or $2k or more for the better setup?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at Belltech’s web site, the drop shocks with rear springs to do a 2/3 drop is just under $600. The 2/3-4 kit with knuckles is just under $575. The McGaughys rear shock drop mounts were $65 on eBay if I remember correctly and the 5100s were $350 I’m wanting to say on Amazon. So less than $500 more, maybe less depending on what the Belltech stuff costs elsewhere compared to their web site.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at Belltech’s web site, the drop shocks with rear springs to do a 2/3 drop is just under $600. The 2/3-4 kit with knuckles is just under $575. The McGaughys rear shock drop mounts were $65 on eBay if I remember correctly and the 5100s were $350 I’m wanting to say on Amazon. So less than $500 more, maybe less depending on what the Belltech stuff costs elsewhere compared to their web site.

Thanks for the information,
Ok, So we're not talking a lot of money here.. when the time comes for me this might be a viable option. I know that when i lifted my 4 runner i went with a kit that was recommend to me. it had the 5100's I've been happy every since.
this particular set can one tow with it?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had spindles on my 07 for 5 years with no issues. I’m changing my struts soon due to age not from a problem due to lowering 2”. @iamdub correct me if I’m wrong that the spindles keep everything in the factory position.
@Shunto As for towing you should be fine. If not you can add helper bags if you’d like.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would depend more on the springs than the shocks. I’ve towed a little with mine but not nearly maxing it out, just a trailer full of mulch or furniture. Mine still has Autoride so I can’t say how much it would squat with regular stuff.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had spindles on my 07 for 5 years with no issues. I’m changing my struts soon due to age not from a problem due to lowering 2”. @iamdub correct me if I’m wrong that the spindles keep everything in the factory position.
@Shunto As for towing you should be fine. If not you can add helper bags if you’d like.
Thanks for the reply.. I heard helper bags are pretty useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645