my last 6L80 post :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

There are many other things you'll need to correct/replace, especially at the amount of milage on that transmission so I'd just overhaul it (see my list as it has everything you need)....The level of effort isn't really that much greater and you know that you're resetting the clock back to zero when it comes to the unit's age. If you're going to go through all the trouble acquiring the tools, knowledge and setting aside the time, I'd just do it right all at once vs piece-mail.

Reinforce the welds in your existing drum (or have a machine shop do so) and purchase the Sonnax 1-2-3-4 billet piston. Also, if you have an early 6L80 then your pump has a first design stator. You will want to swap to a 2nd design (mid-year 2009+) that uses the updated sealing ring set up (locking sealing rings and underlying support O-rings) to prevent slipping/flaring or other symptoms driven by inadequate apply circuit sealing (aka cross-leaks) between the pump and 3-5-R drum.

I swap in a 2nd design stator/pump cover assembly on all 6L80s that come in w/that first design stator. If your vehicle is pre-2010, chances are you have the first design. Make sure you have your pump body/bell housing machined as well. Rotor and slide should also be replaced at this point (your machinist can source them for you and machine everything to spec). Install Transgo's unbreakable pump ring kit with new vanes for added insurance.

First design is on the left, second design is on the right. Note the square notches machined into the sealing ring areas on the pump at right. The early (left pump) does not have these.
View attachment 401102
first - thank you for the time you're taking into making sure that I have details that I will need. I can't think of anywhere else where I could get this kind of information from a source like yourself who has the knowledge from pure experience gained strictly from doing it personally & perfecting it.

im gonna follow your suggestions thru this ... I am admittedly pretty good at knowing when there is an area in which I don't yet have the skill or knowledge to tackle it without significant risk. I am slow & patient with myself in learning & educating & studying whatever part I'm working on until I feel confident enough that I can take it on. I also don't have any issue in humbling myself & reaching out with questions. you may get a lot lol.

could you give me a rough idea of what in this rebuild / over haul process will be something as a DIYer that I will have to enlist the help of a shop? is there anything that I just absolutely won't be able to do & will need to go to a shop? or will I be able to tackle it - given i have the right tools ? orr is that unrealistic due to some of the prices & being that I will only need them once? hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
Could you give me a rough idea of what in this rebuild / over haul process will be something as a DIYer that I will have to enlist the help of a shop?
Watch my two videos so that you can answer this question for yourself as I can give you an opinion but it would be from my own point of view, not yours. The tear down and inspection video will show you the scope of the job while the tool video will give you the list of tools you will need. Also the ATSG manual is linked in my first post in that 6L80 thread which has all of the procedures, specs and other info for these units.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you're trying to help people and that's all good. But many of us simply can't do any of that. I don't even have the lifts to get the vehicle high enough to work under it.

What's worse is we do not have a single shop within 100 miles, maybe more that will open a transmission. They'll drop and install, but they will not work on them. All are sent out to a distant rebuilder or factory rebuilts are used.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it comes down to replacement…. What part of Philly are you in? If you’re familiar with riders lumber right off bridge st, there’s a yard right next door full of GM trucks. They strip Down and part out. Very reliable guys and reasonable.

OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you're trying to help people and that's all good. But many of us simply can't do any of that. I don't even have the lifts to get the vehicle high enough to work under it.

What's worse is we do not have a single shop within 100 miles, maybe more that will open a transmission. They'll drop and install, but they will not work on them. All are sent out to a distant rebuilder or factory rebuilts are used.
who are you referring to? @NickTransmissions ...? he's posting on this thread to assist me in rebuilding mine. these comments are directed towards me as my trans just blew. he knows my situation & what I realistically have the ability to do.

if what he takes the time to post & doesn't need to but is kind enough to do so - if it doesn't help you, then it doesn't apply. I'm going to rebuild my own transmission with the help of his resources & knowledge. I'm not an expert tech. I don't have a shop. I also don't have a trans jack. the tools I have are useless in this project. I'm in the same shoes as you. I have to lay out squares of low pile carpet on my dirt & rock soiled backyard that has not one single level place within it - every time I work on my truck & my stupid old creeper gets stuck every time come to think of it idk why I even bother with the carpet. anyway . I don't have the means. it's not easy. I have never worked on cars before. but I find the way. & I will do so again. realistically I wouldn't be able to do this project without the help. I doubt you would either if you even wanted to actually try.

I have to get a trans jack. a trans stand. trans tools. I don't have a lift. I'll be using hydraulic floor jacks. I'll probably stack them so I can jack it up enough to put high profile stands under it so I can manage to get the trans even off the truck. so I don't have the resources either. but I'll find a way to get them.

a major project like this probably means you don't just have a trans jack sitting in the home garage. if you don't work on them - that's likely not your situation.

so there's hurdles to jump. & its probably going to be very difficult. but its not really supposed to be easy. that's why this kinda work costs so much.

if you don't see the information he's taken the time to give to this community as helpful - then that's fine & it isn't for you.
on the other hand - I do. & I'm aware he doesn't need to give this kind of information. you would pay someone a couple bands for this kinda info & you wouldn't get half of it.
some things you'll have to work out yourself.

OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it comes down to replacement…. What part of Philly are you in? If you’re familiar with riders lumber right off bridge st, there’s a yard right next door full of GM trucks. They strip Down and part out. Very reliable guys and reasonable.
southwest ... right by the airport. this is a solid tip. thank you. I can't be unrealistic & not consider money an option. the rebuild would be for my ability to learn. but if a replacement has a better all in on it.... that will be the outcome. the rebuild will still happen, I want to learn. id keep the trans in my garage & do it over time. but If I can get mine back on the road sooner than if I rebuild it & save some $... I'm going that route.

I'll check them out & thank you. I'm familiar with bridge street. gonna be tad more difficult to get to these days now that they're permanently closing bridge/Harbison 95 ramp & rerouting to betsy Ross... annoying.

you live here too? how are your wheels? lol

OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ps I just realized yous have an app.... where have I been. now I can get notifications & not vanish for 6 weeks at a time.

come up!

Reaction score
who are you referring to? @NickTransmissions ...? he's posting on this thread to assist me in rebuilding mine. these comments are directed towards me as my trans just blew. he knows my situation & what I realistically have the ability to do.

if what he takes the time to post & doesn't need to but is kind enough to do so - if it doesn't help you, then it doesn't apply. I'm going to rebuild my own transmission with the help of his resources & knowledge. I'm not an expert tech. I don't have a shop. I also don't have a trans jack. the tools I have are useless in this project. I'm in the same shoes as you. I have to lay out squares of low pile carpet on my dirt & rock soiled backyard that has not one single level place within it - every time I work on my truck & my stupid old creeper gets stuck every time come to think of it idk why I even bother with the carpet. anyway . I don't have the means. it's not easy. I have never worked on cars before. but I find the way. & I will do so again. realistically I wouldn't be able to do this project without the help. I doubt you would either if you even wanted to actually try.

I have to get a trans jack. a trans stand. trans tools. I don't have a lift. I'll be using hydraulic floor jacks. I'll probably stack them so I can jack it up enough to put high profile stands under it so I can manage to get the trans even off the truck. so I don't have the resources either. but I'll find a way to get them.

a major project like this probably means you don't just have a trans jack sitting in the home garage. if you don't work on them - that's likely not your situation.

so there's hurdles to jump. & its probably going to be very difficult. but its not really supposed to be easy. that's why this kinda work costs so much.

if you don't see the information he's taken the time to give to this community as helpful - then that's fine & it isn't for you.
on the other hand - I do. & I'm aware he doesn't need to give this kind of information. you would pay someone a couple bands for this kinda info & you wouldn't get half of it.
some things you'll have to work out yourself.

1685925411480.png
Thank you.

I've removed/reinstalled many a transmission from these and other vehicles using just a jack and jack stands. A lift makes this nice and easy but isn't necessary for most tasks, including transmission R&R. If you haven't already, check around Craigslist, offer up, etc for folks looking to unload tools for cheap. I've gotten sets of nice floor jacks for $20.00 that retail for over $100 on CL.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
southwest ... right by the airport. this is a solid tip. thank you. I can't be unrealistic & not consider money an option. the rebuild would be for my ability to learn. but if a replacement has a better all in on it.... that will be the outcome. the rebuild will still happen, I want to learn. id keep the trans in my garage & do it over time. but If I can get mine back on the road sooner than if I rebuild it & save some $... I'm going that route.

I'll check them out & thank you. I'm familiar with bridge street. gonna be tad more difficult to get to these days now that they're permanently closing bridge/Harbison 95 ramp & rerouting to betsy Ross... annoying.

you live here too? how are your wheels? lol
i forgot about that. Getting off at aramingo is a shit show and they should have kept bridge st.. I used to live like minutes from the bridge st exit so that would be extremely inconvenient. I’m up in Bensalem now.

Idk if you’re on Facebook but if you get on marketplace, just search Tahoe parts and you’ll see post by Matt Mancuso or something like that. He has all the truck parts you’ll ever need.

And funny you ask about my wheels. I was in Sharon hill this morning. The roads are F*CKED! And I was saying to myself, is this why people always complain about the roads in Philly? Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17