my last 6L80 post :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she’s dead yall.

thanks for your help trying to save it. i definitely am not mad by any stretch. just really bummed. it went 310,000 miles for me. performed well beyond its expected life. i can only be grateful for that & having saved me so much money in car payments over the years.

i don’t know my plans. maybe wollow in self pity for the next 2 days with my dogs & ice cream & my transmission in my bed & reminsce on the days when the worst issue i had was the 1-2 breaking my neck & sending me thru my drivers seat(like everyone else’s gen 1 6l80.)

if i decide to idk. maybe rebuild as a way of teaching myself how to do so - that is, after all, the entire reason i took on this truck - does anyone have any suggestions?? like where do i start. i’m a backyard, dirt floor DIY home mechanic. i have gained invaluable knowledge from you all. i don’t want to approach this on my own.

she delayed into drive & reverse, ultimately not moving, jerked into first & went thru to 3rd…. would quit there & rpm’s spiked into the 6s … i’m sure you know what i mean.

oh & btw. i just bought all new stock shocks for her 4 HOURS EARLIER. from someone on fb. so i can’t return them lmaooo. ugh. the stock z55s fronts rears 10k miles on them for 250 all in. i can’t be mad about that deal AT ALL.

i’m depressed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got it towed back to my backyard / my driveway. if anyone is in philly & can help or just give insight & want to physically look at it. pls lmk. id be grateful. i do love my truck. no matter how old & rigged it is. even if im the only one who knows how to feather the peddle so it doesn’t do that one thing or the other.

:’(

OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it normal to cry like this cus someone said they thought i lost my child or something.(i don’t have any) & i think they really thought i was over reacting. i sold my soul to this truck so this feels more like my own obituary than an update on a vehicle specific forum about a blown transmission. they just don’t understand i guess. it taught me everything i know. that truck gifted me with a skill in an industry i didn’t know i loved. i hated my job. hated it. slaved away. i always heard find a job you love & it won’t feel like work. that’s what this truck gave to me.

maybe i’m being over the top idk..

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it normal to cry like this cus someone said they thought i lost my child or something.(i don’t have any) & i think they really thought i was over reacting. i sold my soul to this truck so this feels more like my own obituary than an update on a vehicle specific forum about a blown transmission. they just don’t understand i guess. it taught me everything i know. that truck gifted me with a skill in an industry i didn’t know i loved. i hated my job. hated it. slaved away. i always heard find a job you love & it won’t feel like work. that’s what this truck gave to me.

maybe i’m being over the top idk..
Sorry to hear it has failed. That said, perhaps an opportunity to take your DYI game to the next level and rebuild it yourself. The cost of the tooling to work on the unit itself is roughly going to be the same as cost of labor you will pay a shop to rebuild the transmission, NOT COUNTING removal and reinstallation.

Watch my two vids that are out on the channel now as they will give you a very good understading of what's involved and what tools you need. My thread also has several links to more tech resources including the ATSG manual and parts to replace list.

Ill be publishing more videos this week, including several on diag and testing the TEHCM, IMS, valve body and pump cover valve trains so you know how to spot worn/problematic areas so they dont reappear shortly after it goes back in. I will also have a valve body reassembly video showing the installation of the Sonnax zip kit which I use for all of these 6L transmissions that I overhaul.

LMK if you need help or have questions. There's no feeling like fixing your own vehicle as you have total control over the process, approach, decision-making and outcome.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she’s dead yall.

thanks for your help trying to save it. i definitely am not mad by any stretch. just really bummed. it went 310,000 miles for me. performed well beyond its expected life. i can only be grateful for that & having saved me so much money in car payments over the years.

i don’t know my plans. maybe wollow in self pity for the next 2 days with my dogs & ice cream & my transmission in my bed & reminsce on the days when the worst issue i had was the 1-2 breaking my neck & sending me thru my drivers seat(like everyone else’s gen 1 6l80.)

if i decide to idk. maybe rebuild as a way of teaching myself how to do so - that is, after all, the entire reason i took on this truck - does anyone have any suggestions?? like where do i start. i’m a backyard, dirt floor DIY home mechanic. i have gained invaluable knowledge from you all. i don’t want to approach this on my own.

she delayed into drive & reverse, ultimately not moving, jerked into first & went thru to 3rd…. would quit there & rpm’s spiked into the 6s … i’m sure you know what i mean.

oh & btw. i just bought all new stock shocks for her 4 HOURS EARLIER. from someone on fb. so i can’t return them lmaooo. ugh. the stock z55s fronts rears 10k miles on them for 250 all in. i can’t be mad about that deal AT ALL.

i’m depressed.
She ain't dead, just needs fixin' is all. Watch Nick's videos, get the book from Amazon and get after it!

It not's over, here's a little pep talk:

OP
OP
denalilex

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thankw
Sorry to hear it has failed. That said, perhaps an opportunity to take your DYI game to the next level and rebuild it yourself. The cost of the tooling to work on the unit itself is roughly going to be the same as cost of labor you will pay a shop to rebuild the transmission, NOT COUNTING removal and reinstallation.

Watch my two vids that are out on the channel now as they will give you a very good understading of what's involved and what tools you need. My thread also has several links to more tech resources including the ATSG manual and parts to replace list.

Ill be publishing more videos this week, including several on diag and testing the TEHCM, IMS, valve body and pump cover valve trains so you know how to spot worn/problematic areas so they dont reappear shortly after it goes back in. I will also have a valve body reassembly video showing the installation of the Sonnax zip kit which I use for all of these 6L transmissions that I overhaul.

LMK if you need help or have questions. There's no feeling like fixing your own vehicle as you have total control over the process, approach, decision-making and outcome.
thanks guys ... @NickTransmissions ... I can't thank you enough for that kind of consideration & help.

have been reading myself into oblivion like I typically do & have a questionn for you.

ps I bought those 2 kits you & I discussed.

but I found a TSB... these are my E X A C T conditions. every single one. would this quite possibly be the fix as opposed to total overhaul? I will install the zip kit this time without question. especially considering I have to pull the trans regardless.

lmk your thoughts. pretty please. this describes exactly whats going on. no more. no less. including the codes. I have all 3. no others.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thankw

thanks guys ... @NickTransmissions ... I can't thank you enough for that kind of consideration & help.

have been reading myself into oblivion like I typically do & have a questionn for you.

ps I bought those 2 kits you & I discussed.

but I found a TSB... these are my E X A C T conditions. every single one. would this quite possibly be the fix as opposed to total overhaul? I will install the zip kit this time without question. especially considering I have to pull the trans regardless.

lmk your thoughts. pretty please. this describes exactly whats going on. no more. no less. including the codes. I have all 3. no others.

You're welcome.

There are many other things you'll need to correct/replace, especially at the amount of milage on that transmission so I'd just overhaul it (see my list as it has everything you need)....The level of effort isn't really that much greater and you know that you're resetting the clock back to zero when it comes to the unit's age. If you're going to go through all the trouble acquiring the tools, knowledge and setting aside the time, I'd just do it right all at once vs piece-mail.

Reinforce the welds in your existing drum (or have a machine shop do so) and purchase the Sonnax 1-2-3-4 billet piston. Also, if you have an early 6L80 then your pump has a first design stator. You will want to swap to a 2nd design (mid-year 2009+) that uses the updated sealing ring set up (locking sealing rings and underlying support O-rings) to prevent slipping/flaring or other symptoms driven by inadequate apply circuit sealing (aka cross-leaks) between the pump and 3-5-R drum.

I swap in a 2nd design stator/pump cover assembly on all 6L80s that come in w/that first design stator. If your vehicle is pre-2010, chances are you have the first design. Make sure you have your pump body/bell housing machined as well. Rotor and slide should also be replaced at this point (your machinist can source them for you and machine everything to spec). Install Transgo's unbreakable pump ring kit with new vanes for added insurance.

First design is on the left, second design is on the right. Note the square notches machined into the sealing ring areas on the pump at right. The early (left pump) does not have these.
IMG_7465.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st