My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been fun and keeping me very busy and my mind off of our recent loss, which is good. I think my wife was pretty smart pushing this project. I ended up taking several weeks off (I had almost two weeks of "use or lose" vacation days and put that time to good use. Still more pics to post, but now I'm in a slow-down - mudding drywall not my thing. Seems easy, but not something I want to do again. Should have paid someone - it would have been done in a couple of days.
Glad to hear it. Yeah, mud, and (especially texture), are about my weakest skills. Not a good time..

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ve definitely been busy sir. :happy107:
Well, like I said it's been fun. I'll post some more pictures. Some wiring, plumbing and the drywall. I had a good friend come by during a long weekend and we got the drywall installed in two long days. But like I said the mudding is taking me sometime. I've got carpet scheduled to be installed in three weeks. So I have that timeline to meet. We'll see. Oh, and my Tahoe has hauled most of the material.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, like I said it's been fun. I'll post some more pictures. Some wiring, plumbing and the drywall. I had a good friend come by during a long weekend and we got the drywall installed in two long days. But like I said the mudding is taking me sometime. I've got carpet scheduled to be installed in three weeks. So I have that timeline to meet. We'll see. Oh, and my Tahoe has hauled most of the material.
Good thing you had some help with hanging the drywall. I’ve done probably 1/2 of my entire house over the years, remodeling one room at a time. I got pretty good at doing it myself, even the ceilings. I learned to screw a 2x4 cleat along the top of the wall about 1” down and lean a t-brace where I could reach it, then stick the short end of the Sheetrock in the groove, and walk backwards while lifting the panel until it was up to the framing. Then I’d hold it up with one hand and grab the t-brace with the other. Wedge that brace in, then I could relax and grab the other t-brace and wedge the wall side of the rock up tight to the framing. I had the can lights cut out already and the joists marked for screwing. It was hard but I really didn’t have anybody to help so I had to figure it out. 1/2” 4x8 panels was my limit for ceilings. After that, the walls were gravy. I just did my garage ceiling a year or two ago. Part of it is 10’ high. Ugh.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't imagine doing it by myself. I rented a jack for the ceiling, worked great. My friend, had some experience with drywalling so it made things go a bit smoother and quickly. Drank a lot of beer through the install. Cooked him and his wife a steak dinner once we were done.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about one of those jacks but every time, I was just doing one room so it wasn’t worth it. I’ve seen them used though, pretty slick. Working for steaks is something I can get behind! Nice, glad to hear it’s coming along good. I’m taking my sweet time with my latest project, and you’re making me feel lazy. I apologize for interrupting your thread, carry on!

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about one of those jacks but every time, I was just doing one room so it wasn’t worth it. I’ve seen them used though, pretty slick. Working for steaks is something I can get behind! Nice, glad to hear it’s coming along good. I’m taking my sweet time with my latest project, and you’re making me feel lazy. I apologize for interrupting your thread, carry on!
You lazy, not a chance.