My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
It has been something I've always wanted to do. Not getting any younger - so I'm making it happen.

When I did mine, that was my same thought!
Never done one before, and I wanted to try my hand at it.

My 6.0 is amazing, going from a 5.3 I absolutely love it.
tons of low end torque compared to the 5.3

I also used a pretty mild camshaft.
just the stock one from a 6.2 escalade, but I used higher ratio full roller rockers with it.

On that note,
What lifters are you planning to use?

I'm having issues with the "LS7" lifters that everyone loves.
they apparently "flow more oil to the top end".
And for me, it flooded my cylinder heads, and caused lower than expected oil pressures.'

(I'll confirm that soon since I'm planning to swap them out for a different style over the winter)

I also have AFR heads with Pac double valve springs that I believe are part of the issue. :jester:
Compressing the lifters too much etc.

Also beware of the factory cam bearings.
Apparently, they don't like high lift and higher than stock valve spring pressure.
Something I might end up swapping out while I have it apart again... :secret:

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made some progress today. Cleaned up the block some more and removed the bearing caps. Then did some additional cleaning. Made the decision to install the camshaft at this point and ensured the bearings (non factory bearings were properly lube. Cleaned and fully lubricated the camshaft and then installed it into the block.

Bearing Caps removed:
Caps Removed.jpg
Camshaft fully cleaned:
Camshaft.jpg
Camshaft Installed. I ended up temporarily installing (hand tight) the camshaft cover and timing sproket to keep the camshaft inplace. She rotates very smoothly with no hang up spots.
Cam Installed.jpg

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On to the crankshaft. So I needed to first plastigauge my bearings. Installed the bearings:
Upper Bearings.jpg
Cleaned the crankshaft:
Crankshaft.jpg
Carefully lowered the crank in place:
Crank Inplace.jpg
It was here that I discovered a major problem. I found some major damage to the reluctor ring.
Problem.jpg
So, obviously this is not good. I called Texas Speed and they also stated that is a problem. They gave me two options. 1. they would send me a new relucter ring and I can have my machine shop replace the damaged one. I already look at that as a possible option, but my guy is on vacation for the next three weeks and he is already backed up. 2. They would provide me a shipping label to ship it back to them for the repair. I went that route. Should get it back early January. I asked if I could continue my bearing check and they said go for it. So I did, sorry no pictures I forgot and quite frankly I was not happy at this point. However, all bearings were at .002. Disassembled the bearing caps, cleaned all bearings surfaces. Pulled the crankshaft. Boxed it up. Placed the shipping label on it and sent it off.

So another delay to the build project.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
On to the crankshaft. So I needed to first plastigauge my bearings. Installed the bearings:
View attachment 387548
Cleaned the crankshaft:
View attachment 387552
Carefully lowered the crank in place:
View attachment 387549
It was here that I discovered a major problem. I found some major damage to the reluctor ring.
View attachment 387550
So, obviously this is not good. I called Texas Speed and they also stated that is a problem. They gave me two options. 1. they would send me a new relucter ring and I can have my machine shop replace the damaged one. I already look at that as a possible option, but my guy is on vacation for the next three weeks and he is already backed up. 2. They would provide me a shipping label to ship it back to them for the repair. I went that route. Should get it back early January. I asked if I could continue my bearing check and they said go for it. So I did, sorry no pictures I forgot and quite frankly I was not happy at this point. However, all bearings were at .002. Disassembled the bearing caps, cleaned all bearings surfaces. Pulled the crankshaft. Boxed it up. Placed the shipping label on it and sent it off.

So another delay to the build project.
At least you noticed it before it was too late.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did mine, that was my same thought!
Never done one before, and I wanted to try my hand at it.

My 6.0 is amazing, going from a 5.3 I absolutely love it.
tons of low end torque compared to the 5.3

I also used a pretty mild camshaft.
just the stock one from a 6.2 escalade, but I used higher ratio full roller rockers with it.

On that note,
What lifters are you planning to use?

I'm having issues with the "LS7" lifters that everyone loves.
they apparently "flow more oil to the top end".
And for me, it flooded my cylinder heads, and caused lower than expected oil pressures.'

(I'll confirm that soon since I'm planning to swap them out for a different style over the winter)

I also have AFR heads with Pac double valve springs that I believe are part of the issue. :jester:
Compressing the lifters too much etc.

Also beware of the factory cam bearings.
Apparently, they don't like high lift and higher than stock valve spring pressure.
Something I might end up swapping out while I have it apart again... :secret:
Exactly what I'm looking for - low end torque. My camshaft was a custom one from Vinci High Performance to enhance that desire. I will check but I got my lifters from his company. Confirmed the cam bearings are not the factory bearings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman