My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked to Texas Speed this morning and walked through some questions after receiving my assembly. Quite frankly, the main purpose was to ask about the pistons. I wanted flat top pistons, but they did not have the particular brand I originally ordered in stock. Recommended a different brand (next up in quality) for the same cost. I opened up the box, pulled out the paperwork and read the word "dome" in the balancing portion of the paperwork - however they did have the same net piston volume. Immediately went to the box and pulled out a piston. They are beautiful by the way (I will post pictures later) but they did not look like a "true" flat top. After talking to Derek, my concerns were put to rest. He also answered the numerous questions I had after reviewing the paperwork. Looking forward to putting this thing together - but will be taking my time.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much fun here. Nothing like boxes of new engine parts. I really want to build one of these engines. I haven’t built an engine since I did a BBF for my jet boat in the 70’s. I just joined a FB group called LS Swapped Jet Boats. Most of the old school guys are still big block through and through for the torque to pull the boat on a plane quick but there are guys that are having a lot of success with LS builds with turbos or blowers. I keep seeing nice boats for $3-4k without engines. Still just a dream but who knows. It’s a possibility for me especially since building an engine doesn’t require a big shop, my little garage is big enough. :D Keep up the good work, it’s inspiring for me.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man It has been a lot of fun so far, some hiccups here and there, but that is expected. Solving problems is part of the fun. I just wish I could go faster, but also glad that I'm forced to take my time. This TY forum is simply amazing. So impressed and quite blown away with the people here so willing to provide their inputs, ideas, sage advice and vast knowledge to all its members. Not sure I would have tackled this dream of mine without knowing I have a vast amount of experience to tap into right here. I'm also impressed with the companies I have been working with (most identified on this forum) and their willingness to provide thoughts and guidance. As far as your Jet Boat dream (which is cool by the way), I say go after that dream - we are not getting any younger. I wonder if this forum would allow you to post that build - it is an LS engine? Would be pretty cool to follow.

Last edited:

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What compression ratio will this be?
Been awhile since Ive done engine work.Plasti gage to check journal clearance etc,I still have the old school piston ring compressor and a manual torque wrench.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What compression ratio will this be?
Been awhile since Ive done engine work.Plasti gage to check journal clearance etc,I still have the old school piston ring compressor and a manual torque wrench.
Working with Texas Speed on the heads I will use. I currently burn 93 octane with my current engine and build and I don't plan on that changing. I was planning on using heads I currently have on hand but decided to go with something nicer. Looking to be around 10.5 to 1 up to 11:1. This became more of a LQ9 build with benefits. I also went with fully floating pistons/wrist pins with my upgraded pistons and connecting rods. I have plastiguage on hand and will be checking all bearings.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this will be an interference motor or not sure what you call it when valves come into pistons? Its been so long I cant remember.Some pistons actually come out of the block a hair there's a name for that?
Babbling on,cool stuff.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so this will be an interference motor or not sure what you call it when valves come into pistons? Its been so long I cant remember.Some pistons actually come out of the block a hair there's a name for that?
Babbling on,cool stuff.
It would depend on the cam that is used (and of course the piston). The particular cam that I had custom made from Vinci High Performance will not cause that issue.