Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeet thx for the help. I also found this awesome video I watched way back when and am watching it again. It is a old school guy who sells cams explaining how to pick cams...

I understand more overlap pushes power band up higher... but what is the tipping point? 112degrees?

what is the duration spec lift at for that scale? 0% 20% or 50% ?

Also how does lift play into it... or is lift a consequence of duration?

Update haha this guy answers most all those questions :) along with google haha

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are good in-depth videos. I feel like the more I read about how cams make power differently the more conflicting info I find. Sometimes it's best to look at really common cams and see what they have in common.

LSA (lobe separation angle) is not the same as overlap but does help dictate the overlap, I like this calculator to find the overlap of a cam. http://www.wallaceracing.com/overlap-calc.php

They both do have a significant effect on idle quality and sound tho. This is why @Tonyrodz BTR cam sounds more aggressive than mine which has more duration. His 110LSA equates 1* of overlap where mine has none. I feel lift has nearly no effect on cam sound.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was picking apart the sloppy stage 2 specs with what he said and makes good since why it is so popular. The young guy / bald dude makes some generalizations. I also am not sure about slop of the lobe. Nothing seems to specify that?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize the SS2 has so much overlap (5*) the definitely makes it seem like it would be rowdier at idle building less vacuum and more necessary to have hydro-boost brakes if you don't already. Also makes it smell gassier at idle with or without cats.

There is another cam similar to the SS2 that is a good notch tamer and the same price. It has -2* overlap and a little less duration.
https://www.performanceparts.com/el..._575_575_hydraulic_roller_2000_2007_chevy_ls1

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am definately too interested in the ss2... I am trying to figure out what i want to dial back from its specs. probably duration?

I like power especially down low but don't want to make a 12mpg gas hog on highway.

Really I'd LOVE to tune for mileage if I can. Not sure if is even possible to win on everything, but my responsible self says not to sacrafice too much in mpg department as I am a big road tripper.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another cam I fond with shorter duration. Smaller gains but says down low. Not sure if shorter duration would maintain mpg efficency?

https://www.tickperformance.com/tick-performance-sns-torquemax-stage-1-v2-camshaft-for-ls2-engines/

1 less intake duration and 1 more exhaust doesn't quite equate to less duration. Also in the description, it recommends a 3,500 rpm stall converter so definitely keep that in mind.

I don't doubt it's a good cam and probably makes great torque but I bet with 7* overlap and that 111lsa it's pretty rowdy at idle.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D01R6