Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am building the motor. Bought the block from an engine builder. He recommended a lifter but unsure which one it was. Do you know what lifters you used?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Morel 6504 drop-in lifters when I replaced my Castech heads this summer. Mainly because they were the only ones I could source at the time and had good reviews. The LS7's were back ordered everywhere.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to figure this tune out. I have HP tuners. I can pull tunes from their repository, they have various years / stock tunes.

I need to find a setup with 4L60E or 4L65E and LQ9 (no AFM or any of that crap too haha) does anybody know a year make and model that ran that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Morel 6504 drop-in lifters when I replaced my Castech heads this summer. Mainly because they were the only ones I could source at the time and had good reviews. The LS7's were back ordered everywhere.

Morel seems to be the talk of much discussion on the various forums. I just pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Morel LS7 style lifters. They weren't cheap, $300 w/ taxes :| Still cheaper than the Johnson lifters that were like easily that for a couple lifters haha. But I suppose if I'm going to build it I better build it right the first time ;) THanks!

I'd have LOVED to get those linked lifters but then I suppose they wouldn't have worked with the LS trays :/

Also spoke with my buddy who used to build these trucks for GM. He said the Delphi lifters are complete crap. To avoid them at all costs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah $hit! Stupid eBay. I thankfully looked this up but appears they have already shipped the lifters out. The seller of the Morel's never put any specs on the lifter other than LS7. This seems really ridiculous however, the manufacturer's spec says a max cam lift of 0.360" for this lifter. I ordered the Morel 6504. The LQ4 cam has over 0.4" lift alone :/

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/7b0d6703-02c7-4d7c-834a-da872ff630ae/downloads/1d2gcttrg_741047.pdf

I also see when I google this part number now, they can be had for $200 :(

Last edited:

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to figure this tune out. I have HP tuners. I can pull tunes from their repository, they have various years / stock tunes.

I need to find a setup with 4L60E or 4L65E and LQ9 (no AFM or any of that crap too haha) does anybody know a year make and model that ran that?

Can't remember if your truck is a NBS or NNBS and you don't have a sig. If it's a NBS find a tune from a 1500HD they had Lq4s and 4l65Es.

Really copying tunes from the repository won't get the tune right it might get it decent but setting up histograms and data logging a few different ways is the only way to get it right for your vehicle. Do you have an AFR gauge?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surely that can't be correct? They're advertised as drop-ins and every stock LS cam I've just looked up is more than .360". Most "low lift" cams are .500"+. I've got them in my L59 and have a thousand miles on them. They're said to be very close to stock size so as to not have to mess with preload. I used my stock pushrods.

I paid $249 in June because it was the only place I could find them and I wanted the truck back together....turns out, I could have waited because one of the refurb heads developed a crack in less than 500 miles.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Googling indicates the Escalade came with an Lq9 and 4L65E for the 2004 Model year.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't remember if your truck is a NBS or NNBS and you don't have a sig. If it's a NBS find a tune from a 1500HD they had Lq4s and 4l65Es.

Really copying tunes from the repository won't get the tune right it might get it decent but setting up histograms and data logging a few different ways is the only way to get it right for your vehicle. Do you have an AFR gauge?
Please forgive me for correcting you, but the 1500HDs came with Lq4s and 4L80Es. Vortech Max came with Lq9 and 4L65e. The Sierra Denalis came with Lq4 and 4L65Es.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel