Mikeyss Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, recently there have been a number of Ram pickups losing their front wheels and causing terrible accidents, a woman was even killed. When the cameraman zoomed in on the hub and truck, I could see the threads for the shaft but it was a RWD truck, no front differential.

Recently, I saw a video on youtube at Precision Transmission, the son took the worn out axle shafts apart, put the spindle through the hub and torqued it back down until the customer could return to have all the work done. Under the boot was a snap ring and once removed allowed him to rig it so the hub wouldn't fall apart.

ACDelco Professional (Gold) is often but not always the same as GM OE. Then there is ACDelco Advantage which is their economy line; no thanks.

Timken was at one time the OE supplier, the part number for our GMT900 4x4 hubs is SP500301 or was the last time I bought one.
My bad, I thought the Professional line was one of the economy lines, I know the Advsntage line is crap.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
My bad, I thought the Professional line was one of the economy lines, I know the Advsntage line is crap.
Professional line is made by whoever is the cheapest bidder, supposedly to AC Delco's specs.

I confirmed this when I bought Strongarm brand lift struts for the rear liftgate of my Burb. They didn't want to lift all the way in "cold" weather, so I bought the Professional line of Delco. When they arrived they were identical down to every detail, including stickers, to the Strongarms, just slipped into an AC Delco sleeve.

Rockauto confirmed my suspicions.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled my receipt, and found I got bamboozled!! I didn't know AC Delco had a sh*t brand. When I see AC Delco I click it and buy it. I feel so dumb now, I assumed all AC Delco was OE. Good thing I know this now, before I go buying a fuel pump here soon, lol.

Yup- ACDelco OE is what came on it from the factory. Last I knew, Timken manufactured the OE hubs for GM. ACDelco "Professional" is like "good" aftermarket, but it's still aftermarket with some cost-cutting measures applied. Moog seems to be the popular choice to fill the ACDelco Professional/Gold boxes for suspension components. ACDelco Advantage... That's just when you wanna replace a part as cheaply as possible, but still say you "installed an ACDelco part".

This isn't just a GM thing. I recently helped my neighbor source a new center support bearing for his Tacoma. The Toyota part was $200+, the Spicer part was $90. Spicer makes and supplies this part to Toyota. We compared it to the one from the Toyota dealer parts counter and it was identical in appearance, size, texture, smell and taste. Even had "TOYOTA" and the part numbers embossed in the rubber in the same locations as the Toyota one. The only difference was the packaging.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup- ACDelco OE is what came on it from the factory. Last I knew, Timken manufactured the OE hubs for GM. ACDelco "Professional" is like "good" aftermarket, but it's still aftermarket with some cost-cutting measures applied. Moog seems to be the popular choice to fill the ACDelco Professional/Gold boxes for suspension components. ACDelco Advantage... That's just when you wanna replace a part as cheaply as possible, but still say you "installed an ACDelco part".

This isn't just a GM thing. I recently helped my neighbor source a new center support bearing for his Tacoma. The Toyota part was $200+, the Spicer part was $90. Spicer makes and supplies this part to Toyota. We compared it to the one from the Toyota dealer parts counter and it was identical in appearance, size, texture, smell and taste. Even had "TOYOTA" and the part numbers embossed in the rubber in the same locations as the Toyota one. The only difference was the packaging.
Spicer has always made great parts, kinda like Timken. They’re the brand of u-joints I choose because I have always been able to trust them for quality, never had one fail.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dropped off the Tahoe to get my 3" true duals installed. I may lose my spare tire location, which I don't mind. I can carry it on the roof rack when I'm travelling, and I will get the hi h*e tire inflator kit, same one the escalade platinum uses when they have the dual exhaust outlet... I'm super excited, I'm tired of the exhaust leak at the collector...

Last edited: