Metallic sound when accelerating 2009 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MickeyD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I saw this was an old thread, but I was coming to comment on this. I had the same problem for a year, was driving me nuts! Finally bit the bullet and took it to the dealer. Never would have suspected the starter, but this is the exact problem I had. New starter, dumb sound's gone!

Not sure how common of a issue this is, but it seems like I've seen a few people experience it.

OP
OP
K

kinglax08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just realized I never provided an update for everyone. Threw a camera in the inspection port to confirm it was nothing major. Tapped the starter with a rubber mallet and heard it sliding all over the place. Quick easy (thank you buddy with a lift) cheap fix. Looks like I didn’t have the mileage right at the time, I was actually close to 200k miles. Amazed the original starter survived that long… Took her close to 210k and traded in for a 2017 Z71.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had the Chevy dealer service my transmission my Tahoe made a similar sound when I got it back. From what I can tell the tech had to bend a heatshield by the trans mission to perform the service and it was left in such a way that it was rattling when the Tahoe was in Drive. I got down there with a wrench and bent the heatshield back a little bit and the sound went away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645