new 2009 Tahoe LTZ owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
stretchb1953

stretchb1953

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently had a scare when my girl was in my Z71 and doing as I asked, power braking short bursts. I was under the rear axle area and was up on drive on ramps. Both the ramps shifted at same time and almost spit out the back and that would have brought the rear diff down on my waist. Was a little scary. She is now freaked whenever I crawl under the vehicles I work on. In you case, when you do this the engine will not be running. I now use two sets of ramps and elevate the whole vehicle and is then level. I have never been a fan of jack stands, even though I worked with them for over 40 years. IMO, drive yours up on 4 ramps and set the park brake. You can also do as I do. I have the rubber wedge wheel blocks. You can kick those in and set those while up on the ramps.
I don't own any ramps. the ramps will raise the vehicle about 6 or 8 inches, correct? I am usually the only one around when i do any maintenance on vehicles. maybe i can rent some ramps from the local parts store. hate to have to buy some for a one or 2 time use.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't own any ramps. the ramps will raise the vehicle about 6 or 8 inches, correct? I am usually the only one around when i do any maintenance on vehicles. maybe i can rent some ramps from the local parts store. hate to have to buy some for a one or 2 time use.

One of my local shop owners let's me rent one of his bay lifts for the day for $50 bucks. Maybe something to ask around or look into as well.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, setting jack stands are a PITA. Lots of crawling around on hands and knees and then setting the jack stands and resetting them if not just right when vehicle is lowered to them and then reverse the procedure when done. The ramps add 7" of height at the tires. easy to set and drive up on. If I use all 4 ramps, the vehicle is up there nicely and can still jack the separate wheels off of them if needed. My set of 2 Rhino Ramps were $80. I have 4 6ix ton stands and 2 3 ton stands and another set of ramps as well. The ramps are easy to store.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
One of my local shop owners let's me rent one of his bay lifts for the day for $50 bucks. Maybe something to ask around or look into as well.
Recently, I almost took a tech position where I could pick and choose my jobs and hours and was a 4 day work week from 9 to 3:30. The job was not what I was looking for but the owner does rent the lifts out on the 3 days he is closed.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. wow, looking at those pressures you quoted, i would think those lifters would be banging out of the engine. I did replace the oil pressure sensor and inspected the connector and wiring. but still throwing that code. my Foxwell OBD tool doesn't have an oil pressure actual reading. so with the pressures you are quoting, other than that CEL coming on all the time, I don't have a problem.

well the check engine light is coming on, so it's not receiving something the code is looking for. until you can read what the ecm is reading and not what the dash gauge is showing, won't really know what part of the parameters the ecm is looking for and seeing outside it's coding.

and not that you shouldn't do it, but I bet if you buy a oil pressure gauge and install it in place of the oil filter, you will see oil pressure well within spec of actual engine damage.. the ecm is just not seeing the same thing for some reason.

OP
OP
stretchb1953

stretchb1953

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a new problem now. New code P0521 oil pressure. went and got an oil pressure sensor and screen. picked up the tahoe from stepdaughter's work and drove it home. pressure indicate less than 20 psi at idle but climbs to about 30 at 60MPH.. got home and tried to access the POS sensor and found it buried under a plastic panel. how the heck do you remove that panel, shgrt of a dremel tool? and what is it there for? am starting to wonder what other codes are gonna start popping up one after the other.
wanted to thank everyone who replied to my oil pressure problem.. during my career working on helicopters, I remembered that if we had a low oil pressure problem, first thing we did was change the oil. decided I would do that before I started tearing things apart. Even though truck said it had 79% life left, i went and changed the oil and filter. wow what a change. pressure is now over 20PSI at idle and even hit 40PSI at about 1300 RMP engine speed. oh, and the light is now off. big thanks to everyone for the help. next problem on list, tire pressure sensors. stuff never ends on AS IS vehicles. :)

OP
OP
stretchb1953

stretchb1953

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
welp stepdaughter was driving today and the engine went into "reduced power" mode again. no codes. the throttle body and position sensor assembly and accelerator sensor have been changed. was fine for about 2 weeks. what's next y'all? google says clean MAF sensor and O2 senors.. they talking about all the O2 sensors?? thanks again in advance.

OP
OP
stretchb1953

stretchb1953

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
welp stepdaughter was driving today and the engine went into "reduced power" mode again. no codes. the throttle body and position sensor assembly and accelerator sensor have been changed. was fine for about 2 weeks. what's next y'all? google says clean MAF sensor and O2 senors.. they talking about all the O2 sensors?? thanks again in advance.
ok got some more info on that reduced power problem. step daughter says right before the reduced power comes into play she gets stabilitrak off message followed by reduced power message and engine won't accelerate. changed MAF sensor and cleaned connections on all O2 sensors. sensors appear to be working properly according to live data on code reader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar