Metallic sound when accelerating 2009 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kinglax08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I appreciate any suggestions and help with the issue in advance, but let me preface this by saying I looked at the simple things such are items in serpentine belt, fan, brakes, wheels, loose exhaust/manifold/shield, etc. No check engine lights.

Yesterday morning my 2009 Tahoe developed what I can best describe as a metallic rattle when accelerating; almost sounds like a bolt in a coffee can and much louder than a ping, piston slap, most knocks I've heard. No noise in neutral or park when revving the engine and no noise when in reverse and giving gas. I do not notice the noise when giving it a bit of gas on downhills until I really hammer down on the accelerator to pass or get up to speed. It also seems to hesitate a bit when accelerating. Oil looks fine. Transmission fluid looks good. I have not looked at transfer case fluid but plan on draining it this weekend to check for any big metal chunks.

Here is a video with the sound from inside the engine bay:

Any ideas what is wrong? My mind goes to flex plate, torque converter, transfer case, or worse yet bad transmission. Not driving it until I have a better idea of what's going on as to avoid any additional avoidable damage. Thanks again for any help!

2009 Tahoe 5.3l 4x4, 6 speed tranny, 150k miles, fluids checked and changed regularly.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like something smacking against a heat shield, I had a similar noise recently and it was the heat shield on the passenger side of the transmission rattling

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Sounds like internals of one of the cats broke and just rattling inside. Is it more noticeable on drivers or passengers side?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
You can pull the inspection cover and peak inside to see if you’re missing bolts or plate is cracked

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Wes said, check all those little heat shields and as Chris and Ian mentioned check the torque converter bolts and flex plate. If a cat was that broken up it should have thrown a code but you never know!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while your checking the exhaust heat shields check all the hangar locations too. had it happen to me once on a different vehicle. one of the hangars just popped out of the rubber which shifted the exhaust just enough it was bumping a piece of metal.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I appreciate any suggestions and help with the issue in advance, but let me preface this by saying I looked at the simple things such are items in serpentine belt, fan, brakes, wheels, loose exhaust/manifold/shield, etc. No check engine lights.

Yesterday morning my 2009 Tahoe developed what I can best describe as a metallic rattle when accelerating; almost sounds like a bolt in a coffee can and much louder than a ping, piston slap, most knocks I've heard. No noise in neutral or park when revving the engine and no noise when in reverse and giving gas. I do not notice the noise when giving it a bit of gas on downhills until I really hammer down on the accelerator to pass or get up to speed. It also seems to hesitate a bit when accelerating. Oil looks fine. Transmission fluid looks good. I have not looked at transfer case fluid but plan on draining it this weekend to check for any big metal chunks.

Here is a video with the sound from inside the engine bay:

Any ideas what is wrong? My mind goes to flex plate, torque converter, transfer case, or worse yet bad transmission. Not driving it until I have a better idea of what's going on as to avoid any additional avoidable damage. Thanks again for any help!

2009 Tahoe 5.3l 4x4, 6 speed tranny, 150k miles, fluids checked and changed regularly.
aaahhh I was just trying to remember what else it could be also is the ac compressor, if you cant figure anything else out then try taking off the compressor belt and see if it goes away, I have had compressors make really weird noises before.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
aaahhh I was just trying to remember what else it could be also is the ac compressor, if you cant figure anything else out then try taking off the compressor belt and see if it goes away, I have had compressors make really weird noises before.

Yea you could leave all the belts off. Then you’ll know if it’s a pulley or not. The ac belt though requires a stretch tool to reinstall. Might as well replace its