Maybe not all 6.2's have the bad lifter bore/ bearing wear issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antonm

Reaction score
For our new $90K car, I decided to change the oil at 500 miles, then again at 3K miles and then again at 6k miles to get rid of any break-in metals before starting a regular oil change interval routine.

Because of all the issues the 6.2's in Tahoes, Yukons and Escalades seem to be having, I decided to send a sample of the oil that ran from 3K to 6k miles off to be analyzed. Figured if the engine was tearing itself apart, there would be evidence of it in a used oil analysis.

I'm hoping I got the one good 6.2 that managed to sneak its way out of the factory. I'll probably continue to do oil analysis every other, or maybe every third, oil change just to keep an eye on it, but so far it's not the kiss of death.

UOA no PII.jpg

Last edited:

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the statistics are, but there are many 6.2 engines that will not see those problems (knock on wood) our 2022 has 18k, so far so good. If something does happen I will certainly be reporting it to the Forum.

ninjaplumber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is my report. Very similar except for oil grade used and more miles. I do have a slight ticking but it may be the injectors. Oil was changed the 4th time at 11,604 miles. I also installed a Catch can at 8010 miles.

Attachments

• 23 Yukon Blackstone report_0001.pdf
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 6

BacDoc

Reaction score
Fake news! There is no such thing as a GM 6.2l that won’t blow up! It happens every time you are on a long road trip hundreds of miles from a dealer. You might have got the only 6.2l that didn’t blow up, but if you did call Guiness because this is one for the record books! Lol!

If I was so lucky I would buy a lottery ticket bro! I’m living on borrowed time as mine is almost 3 months old but I have a road trip coming up in July so I’m looking at rental car agencies along the route and putting numbers on speed dial when the inevitable happens.

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
Fake news! There is no such thing as a GM 6.2l that won’t blow up! It happens every time you are on a long road trip hundreds of miles from a dealer. You might have got the only 6.2l that didn’t blow up, but if you did call Guiness because this is one for the record books! Lol!

If I was so lucky I would buy a lottery ticket bro! I’m living on borrowed time as mine is almost 3 months old but I have a road trip coming up in July so I’m looking at rental car agencies along the route and putting numbers on speed dial when the inevitable happens.

While funny, there is in all seriousness, a pretty big issue going on with the GM 6.2 at the moment. So much so that GM put out a TSB directing its dealers to hold all new, used, certified pre-owned, courtesy transportation vehicles and dealer shuttle vehicles and not allow customers to take possession of these vehicles until they are inspected/ repaired, and the repair is to replace the engine at no charge (see attached PDF copy of the TSB).

No company would willingly take such a financial hit unless they knew, for certain, that they were liable for making faulty product.

Attachments

• replace engine TSB lifter bores.pdf
    144.9 KB · Views: 14

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While funny, there is in all seriousness, a pretty big issue going on with the GM 6.2 at the moment. So much so that GM put out a TSB directing its dealers to hold all new, used, certified pre-owned, courtesy transportation vehicles and dealer shuttle vehicles and not allow customers to take possession of these vehicles until they are inspected/ repaired, and the repair is to replace the engine at no charge (see attached PDF copy of the TSB).

No company would willingly take such a financial hit unless they knew, for certain, that they were liable for making faulty product.
How would I know if my engine is affected? (my 6.2 is in 2023 Suburban). Do I just take it to the dealer and ask to inspect per that TSB? Thanks!

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would I know if my engine is affected?
My 6.2L is in 2023 Suburban.
Do I just take it to the dealer and ask to inspect per that TSB? Thanks!
Read the TSB carefully first, your VIN is probably inside the window of suicidal 6.2L V8s.
Or, you could just go in there blind ...
I'd want to be able to smack anyone that tries to slow me down with a piece of paper that basically says I'm gonna get what I want or else.

eversoslim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This problem exists in the 5.3 too. I have a 2021 Tahoe 4x4 LT. At 35,000 miles, started to misfire. Dealer pulled a spark plug and replaced it with a new injector. I picked up my Tahoe after the repair and made it about a mile before the misfiring started. (If the dealer would have test driven the car.....etc.) Then, the dealer said that GM sent a bulletin to dealers to check for a small hole in the cylinders but that was a negative for me. The final repair was a new set of lifters on the left side of the engine. So far, so good.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This problem exists in the 5.3L too. I have a 2021 Tahoe 4x4 LT. At 35,000 miles, started to misfire.
Dealer pulled a spark plug and replaced it with a new injector.
I picked up my Tahoe after the repair and made it about a mile before the misfiring started.
If the dealer would have test driven the car ... etc.
Then, the dealer said that GM sent a bulletin to dealers to check for a small hole in the cylinders but that was a negative for me.
The final repair was a new set of lifters on the left side of the engine. So far, so good ...
Looks like you got a Gen5 V8 with Engine Half@$$, instead of Cylinder Confusion?
Hopefully your next final repair will not be a new set of lifters on the right side ...

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
How would I know if my engine is affected? (my 6.2 is in 2023 Suburban). Do I just take it to the dealer and ask to inspect per that TSB? Thanks!

IDK. I have zero faith in dealerships “mechanics” to be able to do literally anything the computer scanner doesn’t tell them to do.

Maybe there are one or two actual humans with functional brains working in dealership service departments, but every single one I’ve met/ talked to in the last 15 years or so has been a mouth breathing moron that’s missing several brain cells but has some extra chromosomes kicking around.

So I just did a used oil analysis to see if I had a bunch of bearings material or other wear particles in the oil.

If you take yours in for an inspection, let us know what they inspected for ( my guess is a computer / code scan).