Maybe I am Cheap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a side note. According to the GMC specs.

Yukon tow rating with trailer package- 8500 lbs.
Denali with 8 speed and 6.2 - 8400 lbs.

Just sayin.

Might have something to do with the leaf spring suspension on the regular Yukon versus the Denali?

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess the point I have is..which engine would you rather tow 8500 lbs. with?

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Might have something to do with the leaf spring suspension on the regular Yukon versus the Denali?

Springs are the same, it's a engine weight differential.

Last edited:

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me also George, and my Diesel is in 800 Platform Suburban, so for once you and I agree. (why did you edit out the Diesel part of your comment)

But towing with the new 15's is really not that bad. I rode with a guy pulling a 7000 lb travel trailer in his 15 Suburban LTZ and it did really well. Thats real world, not reading about it on it forum

I cant believe this myth of rear leaf springs is still hanging on. 1/2 ton based GM suvs have not had leaf springs since 99.

Last edited:

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does change the shift points slightly, but more importantly it also locks out OD in an effort to bring RPMS up and transmission temps down. Much healthier for the transmission.

The GMC's I have owned and own now does not lock out the overdrive in tow/haul mode. I tow almost every weekend and at 60 mph+ it goes in 6th gear just fine.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant believe this myth of rear leaf springs is still hanging on. 1/2 ton based GM suvs have not had leaf springs since 99.

Simmer down... We've had an 08' as well. Well aware that they did not have leafs. I thought I read that the new trucks were going back to a leaf. Could have been an error or confused with another model. I haven't had a GM SUV since 2012, been out of the game.

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmer down... We've had an 08' as well. Well aware that they did not have leafs. I thought I read that the new trucks were going back to a leaf. Could have been an error or confused with another model. I haven't had a GM SUV since 2012, been out of the game.

WTF happened to ~ Yeti tells the truth...?

I'm so confused....

Lotshp

Reaction score
Well it's all personal choice and affordability, the newer SUVs have great engine platforms be it the 6.2 or 5.3. If $$$ is not a concern the buy what ever you want, but in the real world for most the plain vanilla 5.3 will get the job done. You also have the aftermarket option with a SC for the 5.3 which will still be under the flagship models price point plus better MPG and way more HP and TQ. But if you really do a lot of towing just buy a diesel truck and be done with.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me also George, and my Diesel is in 800 Platform Suburban, so for once you and I agree. (why did you edit out the Diesel part of your comment?

I get wordy, and I edited out what I thought was more words. But since you asked...
I am diesel spoiled, and with that, I expect more from what I buy. Not necessarily a good thing...
I towed my 12' low hauler enclosed motorcycle trailer from buff to Ann Arbor Mi. with my wife's hoe last summer.. It did ok, but definitely could not handle OD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667