Maybe I am Cheap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to test drive both and make your decision from there. Now if you are trying to be cheap, don't test drive both, just get the Yukon and be done with it.

I agree.
Power importance is subjective to some, but it's first on my list.
I'm all done being caught short on power, and it pisses me off when I am, but that's just me.
Interstate speeds around here hover around 80 MPH, and I drive at least that fast. You may not.

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO the 5.3 does just fine. Would a 6.2 be better? Well hell yes. But is it worth the extra $10,000+- to you? That is the question (and yes, I know you get a lot more upgrades with the extra cost, but that is not my point here. The point is, that is the up-charge if you want the motor). I do not want to argue about the fact that the 6.2 is a much more powerful motor and better suited for a rig of this size, because it truly is (not really an opinion, it's pretty much a fact). We have owned a Denali before, so I do have experience with both. The 6.2 effortlessly pushes the boat around in comparison to the 5.3. But, that does not make the 5.3 a worthless turd that has no belonging in a rig of this size.

My family and I just got back from a few thousand mile trip across the country, consisting of mainly 75-85 MPH highway speeds. The Yukon was packed to the gills with a week's full of gear for the four of us. Many mountainous areas were passed, with long uphill stretches that seamed to go on for miles or more. Never once did I feel like the 5.3 was struggling. Did it downshift once in a while on real steep climbs? Yep. But nothing that was an annoyance or out of the ordinary. Most of the time it just chugged along in overdrive with no issues at all. It averaged right around 21MPG for our entire trip, with the higher speeds killing it quite a bit. At one point the average was over 23MPG, and the highest "last 50 miles" reading was over 25MPG (easy, flat, non-stop 45-60MPH section of road lasting for an hour or so).

If the 6.2 (motor only) was an upgrade option for the regular Yukon's it would be a no brainer. But, as in our case, adding another $8-10 grand over and above a fully loaded SLT to get the motor simply was not worth it to us.

Anyways, just wanted to share with you my opinion and recent experience with our 5.3. I think it is a wonderful motor with plenty of power for the size of the vehicle. We have absolutely no regrets not getting the Denali.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on towing with the 5.3.

Just got back from a weekend up in the UP. Rented a 22' Jayco Ultralite travel trailer. It pulled it decently at around 55 MPH, but when up around 60-65 it had a rough time staying in overdrive. The majority of the trip was around 60-65 MPH which netted us a staggering 9 MPG. I think I could have mustered a solid 10 or 11 out of it had I kept it closer to 55.

I'm pretty sure there are not too many people out buying these rigs to do large amounts of towing, but if that is your plan then I would highly recommend the denali.

I will say, though, after unhooking the trailer from the 360 mile round trip I am right back at my original thought... the 5.3 pushes this big hog around nearly effortlessly for the most part.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the newness wears off and that new car smell fades, you become more aware of the engines lack of torque. Get into the mountains and run 75-85 like everyone else, the endless shifts out of OD while in CC will drive you nuts. Just too much weight and resistance per pounds of TQ.

If you live in an area of the country where the earth is flat, the 5.3l will do just fine. I honestly have zero complaints when running the interstate here in NY, or west into Ohio, Indiana and the mid west. It's in the more challenging terrain that it has major problems keeping up. And honestly, it doesn't get more challenging than the run I have to make between Buffalo and DC.

Also when towing with the 5.3 or even any engine that's geared high, it's best to hit the TT button on the shifter and lock out the OD. The high gearing while towing isn't the best for transmission temperatures.

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the newness wears off and that new car smell fades, you become more aware of the engines lack of torque. Get into the mountains and run 75-85 like everyone else, the endless shifts out of OD while in CC will drive you nuts. Just too much weight and resistance per pounds of TQ.

If you live in an area of the country where the earth is flat, the 5.3l will do just fine. I honestly have zero complaints when running the interstate here in NY, or west into Ohio, Indiana and the mid west. It's in the more challenging terrain that it has major problems keeping up. And honestly, it doesn't get more challenging than the run I have to make between Buffalo and DC.

Also when towing with the 5.3 or even any engine that's geared high, it's best to hit the TT button on the shifter and lock out the OD. The high gearing while towing isn't the best for transmission temperatures.

Yeah, the majority of our driving with the 5.3 is relatively flat in comparison to mountains. But I will say, our trip on the interstate through some of the mountains I certainly was not depressed with the lil girl. Sure, it downshifted, but not to the point that I wished I had a bigger motor. For the driving we do, the 5.3 seems to push the heavy rig around effortlessly.

School me on the TT, or whatever that may be. When I towed the travel trailer I did use the button on the end of the shifter. I am not really aware of what it does. Best I could tell was it maybe changed the shit points a bit? It certainly downshifted to help with slowing down. It seemed like it still went into overdrive at times, but maybe not? Maybe it was D that it wouldn't hardly stay in at 65-70 LOL.

I will add that the factory trailer brake setup is the cat's ass. Works very well and looks a hell of a lot better than most of the big black boxes I have used in the past.

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The 2015 5.3 is significantly better than the previous generation's 5.3. I had a 2012 Avalanche LTZ, which was woefully underpowered. I live in Georgia where, while there isn't much of mountains, is stil full of steep hills. My Tahoe doesn't break a sweat in the same areas where the Avalanche would struggle. The same steep hills that would make my Avalanche downshift to accelerate, would not happen with the Tahoe.

I had a 1300 mile test drive of a 2015 Tahoe when I moved. The #1 thing I noticed was how much better and how much more oomph the more refined 5.3 had. I appreciated it particularly when I returned the rental and picked up my Avalanche again. This is one of the things that drew me to the 2015 and got me to trade in my White Diamond avalanche for a Tahoe LT!

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
School me on the TT, or whatever that may be. When I towed the travel trailer I did use the button on the end of the shifter. I am not really aware of what it does. Best I could tell was it maybe changed the shit points a bit? It certainly downshifted to help with slowing down. It seemed like it still went into overdrive at times, but maybe not? Maybe it was D that it wouldn't hardly stay in at 65-70 LOL..

It does change the shift points slightly, but more importantly it also locks out OD in an effort to bring RPMS up and transmission temps down. Much healthier for the transmission.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a side note. According to the GMC specs.

Yukon tow rating with trailer package- 8500 lbs.
Denali with 8 speed and 6.2 - 8400 lbs.

Just sayin.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heath,
The model rating is based on gross weight. Remember, they share the same suspension.
The 6.2l engine and transmission must weigh 100 lbs more than the 5.3 engine and 6 speed.
For example, new Ford truck weight reduction by using aluminum alloy body panels immediately gains that amount in tow weight rating.

Last edited:

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, however, tow rating is tow rating. What this basically tells you, in a nutshell, is that the improved 5.3 is a capable power plant for this platform if weight of components is the only factor the sways it one way or another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667