Maybe I am Cheap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M26 Pershing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well after thinking about the poor trade value offer on my Audi, I began to think of purchasing a Yukon XL SLT and adding a Denali grill and chrome side moldings. I of course would keep my Audi this would increase the stable not reduce it as I intended to do. I drove the 5.3 and the power is not bad. I do not tow, just travel the highways from New England to Florida. My wife told me to belly up and purchase the Denali over the Escalade or base Yukon as she likes Summit white and that color is not available on a Cadillac. Any input on the 5.3?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not that yer cheap its that everything is rediculously expensive
you need to tell yer wife your not going to buy a yukon or a denali or an escelade
yer going to go buy a tahoe or a suburben she wont know what to think
ill take the bow tie over a GMC or a dam cadillac any day of the

a denali and an escelade is simply a tahoe/yukon with all the bells and whistles leather seats wich suck id never order leather seats in a car, premium sound factory premium sound always sucks, factory premium wheels wich are also ugly, tow package wich is about the only thing i prefer to have
the only real difference is the 5.3 comes in the tahoe and yukon and the 6.2 liter is offered in the denali and escelade the 5.3 liter is 355 bhp wich is more like 300 rhp and 383 ft lbs of torque and the 6.2 liter is 420 bhp wich is more like 380 rhp and 460 ft lbs there is little difference in between there towing capacitys also the 6.2 has an 11.5:1 compression ratio so you need to run 91 octane or higher here in AZ thats 20 cents more a gallon sometimes more the 5.3 is only an 11:1 compression ratio it runs 87 octane just fine

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to tell yer wife your not going to buy a yukon or a denali or an escelade

a denali and an escelade is simply a tahoe/yukon with all the bells and whistles leather seats wich suck id never order leather seats in a car, premium sound factory premium sound always sucks, factory premium wheels wich are also ugly, tow package wich is about the only thing i prefer to have
the only real difference is the 5.3 comes in the tahoe and yukon and the 6.2 liter is offered in the denali and escelade the 5.3 liter is 355 bhp wich is more like 300 rhp and 383 ft lbs of torque and the 6.2 liter is 420 bhp wich is more like 380 rhp and 460 ft lbs there is little difference in between there towing capacitys also the 6.2 has an 11.5:1 compression ratio so you need to run 91 octane or higher here in AZ thats 20 cents more a gallon sometimes more the 5.3 is only an 11:1 compression ratio it runs 87 octane just fine

Huh?
I would personally disregard this entire post.

The peak torque curve is much longer, more flat, and starts sooner with the 6.2L. You will also gain the new 8 speed with the Denali.
You do not need premium in a 6.2l. The leather is much improved, but the old stuff was pretty good also. Driving an 02', I have no idea where Chris was coming from when talking about a 15'.

Personally, I would not buy another 5.3l in a heavy GM SUV. Major dog in the hills at speed IMO.. If you run 70-75 MPH, it likes to shift in and out of OD constantly when it needs power. The peak numbers are a lot higher RPM an the more useable power of the 6.2.
Listen to your wife, gain the resale and don't second guess yourself after buying a lesser powered rig.
Buy the Denali.

Last edited:

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a XL slt and have no problems like mentioned about. It all comes down to if you "have to" have it or not. I've taken 3 long distance trips in the 6 months I've had it and have just over 19k miles. Not once have I ever regretted NOT getting the Denali.

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 SLT XL here and I really like it. It has plenty of power. I'm sure more power is nice. But if you aren't towing I don't think you will miss it.

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

"never order leather seats in a car", etc., etc.

Basically, he suggested that in the future, order every car and truck with zero options, fabric seats, smallest engine, and make them look like a U-Haul rental truck or a car from Hertz....black grille and plastic black bumpers and all. BTW, nearly 80 ft/lbs of torque and 8-speeds won't make a difference neither?? The overall goal...make the car is cheap as it can possibly be I guess..

I agree with George.

OmegaRoach

Reaction score
Your best bet is to test drive both and make your decision from there. Now if you are trying to be cheap, don't test drive both, just get the Yukon and be done with it.

My wife test drove both and immediately noticed the power difference between the two. I gave her no indication of differing power plants between the two and she has no clue about cars and engines. Her immediate response when driving the Denali was how much easier it was to drive compared to the Burban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts