I am fretting over the tires I ordered for my new Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I ordered 285 50 22 Yokohama Geolander A/T G015's to replace my stock Bridgestones 275 50-22 street tires. I had originally decided on the Nitto Recon Grappler, but then when I was doing internet research, it seemed apparent that the Geolander would really be a better snow/rain tire than the Nitto. What I was reading is that the Nitto has limited siping and has not enough spaces between the tread blocks to dissipate water on the road. So the Geolander is probably a better tire (based on what I have read) than the Nitto for my needs right now. I have a Z71 suburban and a Jeep Grand Cherokee for my off gravel road fishing trips, so I don't have to have an aggressive tread tire on the Denali. My hesitancy comes from the fact that the Geolander has very limited side wall tread, and a not so aggressive tread in general, which takes away from the off-road look. I was really hoping to gain some off road look for this rig as it is on the "fancy" side for my liking. If I had my druthers, I would have ordered BFG K02, but the closest size they come in is the 295 50 22. Discount tire is saying that putting this tire on is not a good ide as the rim is 9" wide and the K02 is 11.6" wide.. The Yokohama is 11.2" which is in the acceptable range apparently. It is possible that I will like the looks of the Geolander, but I wont know until it is on the rim... Then it is too late, no going back at that point.. I think at this point I could still return the Geolanders that are on order (Ihave not paid a deposit) and just pay a small re-stocking fee as long as I buy my tires at Discount Tire. Am I being silly about the appearance? The Geolanders are also $550 less $ than the BFG. I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If off-road/aggressive appearance is important to you, then you are not being silly. It is just your preference, which you are totally entitled to.

For tire/rim acceptable fits, I recommend that you call the tire manufacturer and discuss your concern. Most major tire manufacturers have a technical support team (not simply sales), who can give you guidance in this area. When I considered the Michelin Defender tire size 305/50/x20 for my 07 Yukon XL Denali, I was concerned about the stock 8.5" rim width, and the Michelin Defender spec indicated that an 8.5" rim was the minimum of its acceptable rim widths. So, I called Michelin and discussed my concern. They stated that the 8.5" rim was totally acceptable for their 305/50x20 tire size, stating that there would be slightly more tire roll when hard cornering versus a 9" or wider rim. So, I went with the 305/50x20 tire size, and I have had no issues with them.

If you would consider a more conventional tire look, I would suggest that you consider the Michelin Defender tire. They are not cheap, but you will get 70,000 miles out of them. Though classified as an all season tire, I have had not problems at all with them in the NH winter.

OP
OP
Jocko PDX

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If off-road/aggressive appearance is important to you, then you are not being silly. It is just your preference, which you are totally entitled to.

For tire/rim acceptable fits, I recommend that you call the tire manufacturer and discuss your concern. Most major tire manufacturers have a technical support team (not simply sales), who can give you guidance in this area. When I considered the Michelin Defender tire size 305/50/x20 for my 07 Yukon XL Denali, I was concerned about the stock 8.5" rim width, and the Michelin Defender spec indicated that an 8.5" rim was the minimum of its acceptable rim widths. So, I called Michelin and discussed my concern. They stated that the 8.5" rim was totally acceptable for their 305/50x20 tire size, stating that there would be slightly more tire roll when hard cornering versus a 9" or wider rim. So, I went with the 305/50x20 tire size, and I have had no issues with them.

If you would consider a more conventional tire look, I would suggest that you consider the Michelin Defender tire. They are not cheap, but you will get 70,000 miles out of them. Though classified as an all season tire, I have had not problems at all with them in the NH winter.
That is good advice. I will try calling BFG. As far as the Defender goes, I am sure they are great tires. We have Michelin on my daughters Ford fusion and they are fantastic. But for this rig, I want something more aggressive..

OP
OP
Jocko PDX

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i called BFG customer service. They were of no help could barely speak english and really didn't know what they were doing..

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 295 tire is just fine on a 9” wide wheel. I put 305’s on my wifes high country probly 40-50k miles ago….wearing just fine. Absolutely no issues.

Reaction score
I've used the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 on my Denali and previously on my Avalanche. They are a great all around tire. Good on the beach. Good in rain. Good in snow. They have a somewhat aggressive look to them without sounding like an airplane. My brother runs/ran the Nitto offroad tires on his Suburban and previous Avalanche. Never complained on the beach or the snow. I probably paid 1/2-3/4 and had MUCH less road noise.

OP
OP
Jocko PDX

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got them put on yesterday and an happy with how they look and they are quiet Time will tell how they do on gravel/snow rain

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Last week I ordered 285 50 22 Yokohama Geolander A/T G015's to replace my stock Bridgestones 275 50-22 street tires. I had originally decided on the Nitto Recon Grappler, but then when I was doing internet research, it seemed apparent that the Geolander would really be a better snow/rain tire than the Nitto. What I was reading is that the Nitto has limited siping and has not enough spaces between the tread blocks to dissipate water on the road. So the Geolander is probably a better tire (based on what I have read) than the Nitto for my needs right now. I have a Z71 suburban and a Jeep Grand Cherokee for my off gravel road fishing trips, so I don't have to have an aggressive tread tire on the Denali. My hesitancy comes from the fact that the Geolander has very limited side wall tread, and a not so aggressive tread in general, which takes away from the off-road look. I was really hoping to gain some off road look for this rig as it is on the "fancy" side for my liking. If I had my druthers, I would have ordered BFG K02, but the closest size they come in is the 295 50 22. Discount tire is saying that putting this tire on is not a good ide as the rim is 9" wide and the K02 is 11.6" wide.. The Yokohama is 11.2" which is in the acceptable range apparently. It is possible that I will like the looks of the Geolander, but I wont know until it is on the rim... Then it is too late, no going back at that point.. I think at this point I could still return the Geolanders that are on order (Ihave not paid a deposit) and just pay a small re-stocking fee as long as I buy my tires at Discount Tire. Am I being silly about the appearance? The Geolanders are also $550 less $ than the BFG. I would appreciate any feedback on this.
You can never have enough tire I’d rather have a wider tire then my rims so you don’t have to worry about curbs
I’ve always ran atleast a 12.50” wide tire on stock 9” wide wheels no issues
I’ve ran narrow tires with wider wheels and wide wheels with even wider tires
It’s all on your preference
IMG_3769.jpeg
24x10 on 33/12.50s
IMG_2146.jpeg
275/65 on a x12 wide wheel
IMG_4636.jpeg
33/11.50 on a x12 wide wheel
IMG_0728.jpeg
35/15.50 on a x14 wide wheel
Hope this gives you a better picture of what you may or may not want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar