LT vs SSV (quick comparison).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, a little anecdote regarding the difference between men and some woman when it comes to all things automotive.

About 7 weeks ago I bought a 2010 SSV Tahoe. Previous park ranger vehicle, then civilianized by a second party. I'm the third owner. 113K miles after today's short 250 mile road trip. The previous owner put factory 20" wheels on it, a center console, and carpet and padding. The interior has some dash cracks (which ones don't?), but the vinyl in the front and rear seats looks new. All in all, not a lot to separate it from a lower range "normal Tahoe" other than the typical creature comforts.

So during my short ownership so far, I'm telling my wife that I wish I had another Tahoe to compare it to. An LT or LTZ..something like that. Just so I could see what I needed to add or change in order to make it a real Tahoe. Did it ride the same? Was it as quiet? I expressed a few times it'd be nice to know these things without having to go to a dealership to find a used one and drive it. Needed one I could really dig into so to speak.

Last week we're going out to dinner and she tells me she needs to stop by her best friends house (5 minutes away from our house) to drop something off. Of course I agree and happily head that way after we finish eating. We pull into her BF's neighborhood, down her street, and I see a familiar looking set of taillights in the driveway. You already know where I'm going with this, don't you?

Not only does her best friend have a Tahoe, but's it's a GMT900. Same as mine. It's white. Same as mine. Other than the side molding and luggage rack, it's externally identical to mine. Are you ******* kidding me.

All this time I've been telling her how bad I wish I could drive one and compare various things to my SSV and her damn BFF has had one for the last two years. Jesus. Skip forward to tonight...

I drove it, after being in mine from 8am to 5pm. 2011 Texas Edition LT. 139K miles. As a reminder mine is a 2010 SSV with 113K miles. During my ownership and especially today's road trip, I've noticed that mine is WAY too loud on the road. Enough to aggravate my tinnitus. Driving the LT version showed me that I was right. Her's had much, much less road noise than mine. Wind noise was the same. Actually seemed louder in hers because of the reduced road noise.

While the previous owner of mine put carpet and padding down, he (or she) did nothing in the way of a mass loaded vinyl that comes on many factory carpets. I didn't get a chance to inspect her's to see if it had anything in the way of a sound barrier. Regardless, that's an easy fix. Perhaps one of you knows if the factory carpet has an extra sound dampening layer...

Other than the reduced road noise (which is by far the most important thing for me to figure out right now because it's hurting my ears), mine actually drove better. Tighter steering, much less roll (though hers was a softer ride), and far better brakes on mine. Granted, it's not an apples to apples because they're both over 100K miles with variously worn parts. Still, I'd much rather have hers than mine because of the road noise. And even though her's had leather, I've really come to like the durability of vinyl, even if it's not heated (which sucks). At a glance, it'd be a toss up with whose interior was nicer. Close inspection would reveal the winner to be hers. I'll be over there next week and will snap a pic of her RPO's and see everything her Tahoe has.

Anyway, just a bit of a comparison between two seemingly similar vehicles. Crazy how much of a difference the road noise can make in the enjoyment of driving. I've put butyl backed material over the cargo area and will soon put closed cell foam and MLV down over the entire floor, followed by new factory fit carpet.

One variable that I can't account for with noise is my tires. The rear are Goodyear LS2's that are quite worn, and some Ironman's up front (never even heard of them). At 78mph I get a noticeable vibration, though I'm not sure if that would add any noise at lower speeds. Either way new tires all around will happen soon.

Damn I got long winded. So there you have it. If I had it to do over again, I'd have simply spent a little extra on the initial vehicle purchase, rather than spending less and telling myself I'd fix what I needed to. Live and learn.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back up sensors
Power folding mirrors with signal. (the HY1 has the Cadillac ones)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like most any base model vehicle of any brand, I'm sure the SSV didn't get the insulating panels on the sheet metal (inside the doors, on the roof, floor pan, etc.) that the higher trim levels got. You could easily install your own sound deadening to achieve the same or better results. The locations that the factory installs them is an engineered design, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that they balance the amount of insulation they install with cost and weight, so there's improvement to be had.

Your experience with the driving comparison sounds on-par. The higher trim levels had softer springs and shocks whereas yours had firmer. I know the PPVs got lowering springs that were also a little firmer. I doubt yours, being a park ranger vehicle, got the lowering springs. But they could still be firmer than even the LS ones. The PPVs got heavier-duty brakes, but I don't know what components they consisted of other than rotors and pads and I don't know if the SSV got the same. Decoding your RPOs would answer all of this.

Last edited:

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your friends Tahoe LT had the ZW7 suspension or the Z55. I love the Z55 with G69 auto level suspension, it's like driving your living room couch down the road, haha

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Denali and Escalade have RPO BS1 which is an acoustical insulation package, sound deadening. LTZs might have it too but not sure. I've been trying to find out more about it but no luck so far.

I have been on the same mission. I have had my door panels off in my LTZ and there is padding there. A pillars have padding too, as well as the long panels for the rear heat and A/c panels. I do not have the BS1 rpo code though. Something tells me the Denali and Escalade have a few different codes that are the same thing the LTZ has but are under different codes. For example, 09 Escalade and Denali have a Y91 code pertaining to the audio system. They have 10 speaker system with the center dash speaker. I have the same system in my LTZ, but there is no Y91 code in mine, but instead it's STZ. I cross referenced that code when looking up factory amps, options said 'with RPO Y91 or STZ'

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on the same mission. I have had my door panels off in my LTZ and there is padding there. A pillars have padding too, as well as the long panels for the rear heat and A/c panels. I do not have the BS1 rpo code though. Something tells me the Denali and Escalade have a few different codes that are the same thing the LTZ has but are under different codes. For example, 09 Escalade and Denali have a Y91 code pertaining to the audio system. They have 10 speaker system with the center dash speaker. I have the same system in my LTZ, but there is no Y91 code in mine, but instead it's STZ. I cross referenced that code when looking up factory amps, options said 'with RPO Y91 or STZ'

Poking around the shop manual hasn't revealed anything either. I wonder what the part numbers are. GM has a part number and manual for everything.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the Z55 with G69 auto level suspension, it's like driving your living room couch down the road, haha

Mine has this, but it rides pretty harsh for what it is. I'm sure my shocks are blown. They got really soft when I unplugged them as a test one day. Normal shocks get soft when they're worn. My guess is that the suspension controller over-compensates the weak/blown Autoride shocks, making them too stiff. Or maybe the blown shock is more sensitive to the controller's input. I would've left them unplugged but the Tahoe felt dangerously top-heavy. I'm hoping the lowering shocks and struts (Belltech SP) are a little softer than how mine currently are, but not dangerously soft. I want it to ride soft in a straight line but be flat in the corners, so I may be upgrading to the stiffest sway bars I can find. I already have new poly swaybar bushings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz