2012 Tahoe SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel free to contact us, we are more than happy to go over everything with you!

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I see, I am not good at mechanical things if I go to auto shop to do tune, would be lots of money?

How do I check oil pressure to see how much oil pressure? Thanks
Keep an eye on your dash - there is a oil pressure gauge in left up corner. Feel free to reach out with the computer stuff too - I am in IT as well and have done the BBP tune as well as setup a nano interface for the OBD port. Where are you located?

OP
OP
N

Nighthawkpearl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your dash - there is an oil pressure gauge in left up corner. Feel free to reach out with the computer stuff too - I am in IT as well and have done the BBP tune as well as setup a nano interface for the OBD port. Where are you located?
Yes, i keep my eyes on the dash, oil pressure. Is it normal for oil pressure at between 25-30 when idling and 30-40 when driving? I don’t beat up my Tahoe. I drive like grandma. I live in San Diego. Should I flush transmission fluid and new fluid since Tahoe has 20k engine hours? What about flush coolant fluid?

Also, should I shift to M at 6 gears to keep v8 mode all time or not good?

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish someone would reveal the OE program conditions that need be met before V4 mode is allowed, and then activated.
That said, learn to drive with more carefully timed threats of enthusiasm, and you can prevent V4 mode pretty well without the shifter.
Also, V4 mode may still be possible but much less likely by using the shifter to avoid 6th.
All of those are stopgap contrivances til you get V4 mode tuned out.

Change ATF & ATF filter every 30k (yes, more often than GM suggests).
Change antifreeze every 3 years max (yes, more often than GM suggests).

Don't forget to change the power steering fluid, as well as the rear axle & front differential fluids at your earliest convenience.
That's another way of saying, when you've found replacement fluid that meets or exceeds updated specs.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This seems rather excessive to me. 30k miles? Is this towing or just daily driving?
Daily driving per NYC (mostly Manhattan / Brooklyn Queens) livery / cab drivers experiences.
Getting a Suburban / Yukon XL / Stretch Vehicle to reach 250,000 highway miles is one thing.
It's quite another when nearly all of the miles are metro / urban stop'n'go.
(The silver lining would be, avoiding 5th and 6th gear makes V4 mode almost impossible, thus the TCC lasts longer. Still, the 6L80E & 8L80E have other failure modes.)

I've always preferred using severe service recommendations, having been an NYC livery driver.
'Rather excessive' is always preferable to 'ok, it's dark enough to change it now'.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish someone would reveal the OE program conditions that need be met before V4 mode is allowed, and then activated.
Here's what I could find...
LMGDOD.gif

missing oil aeration at the bottom left..
aeration time = 10 seconds
reset rpm = 3,000 rpm
reset time = 50 seconds

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give @BlackBearPerf a call and discuss this topic with them. You won't be disappointed.
hopefully he has a service for making calls, presuming so since it has been a thing for a while now

OP: you can always just email them if that is easier
This seems rather excessive to me. 30k miles? Is this towing or just daily driving?
it can depend on how you drive I change mine every 20k

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board! Nice looking Tahoe, share some interior pics when you get a chance.

I too have really high hours, I don't recall what mine says but can check later. Since my Tahoe was NC Highway Patrol, I already know it is going to have a massive amount of idle hours. Have no fear though, at least if you know it has been maintained properly. With all my idle hours and having nearly 200k miles when I bought mine from surplus, it still runs like a champ and only has given me a few pretty minor issues.

Not "must" items, but definitely strongly suggested:

- Do the DoD for sure, if it bothers you going into DoD. I actually deleted it in the ECM, but haven't done the mechanical side (yet). If/when I do get a sticky/noisy lifter, I'll do it.

- Cleanup the transmission tune. At least get the torque convertor lockup at low speeds removed. Made a HELLUVA difference driving for me, obviously at lower speeds. But the lockup caused a severe "clunk", and with a higher mileage truck, that isn't good

- Grab some new headlights, don't waste your time trying to restore those. Don't be shy of Amazon knockoffs either, I've had a few pairs of Amazon knockoffs for some projects before I retrofitted by HID's, they are great for what they are. If you aren't looking at spending a lot of money on the truck, at least a $100 pair of Amazon lights will make the truck look really good

Just my $.02! Lots of knowledge on the forum here though, definitely post up if you need any advice/help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan