SUV VS Pickup Truck platform - frame and overall rigidity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently watched a video where a guy was comparing the Tacoma and 4Runner and he said that while he is used to driving the Tacoma that driving the 4Runner was a much better experience because the frame on the 4Runner is a fully boxed frame and the frame of the Tacoma is mostly a C frame only boxed in some areas. Also the Tacoma body and bed are two separate pieces from each other so they do not provide support to each other.

I’m wondering if the Tahoe and Silveradoes are the same way?

With that insight in mind having a fully boxed in frame and a frame length body to provide support to the frame makes it seem like the SUV platform has a huge advantage in those areas that nobody ever talks about when comparing the pros and cons of different off-road rigs.

In my experience I can see that my 2008 Tahoe frame is fully boxed front to rear, a very robust looking frame.

My 94 k1500 doesn’t have a fully boxed frame and when compared to my Tahoe the k1500 frame is not confidence inspiring.

Just something I picked up on, thoughts?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally do not know the answer to the following question, but I bet some of y'all do:
Where are the spots on the frame most likely to fail?
(By 'fail', I mean, the frame normally holds the body together, but I've persoanlly seen old pickup trucks where the body is holding the frame together.)

Wherever those spots are, I'd think the answer is to box those spots yourself.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the 2 rigs usually have different suspension affecting how solid they feel. I’m not sure about yours but my Yukon has coil springs out back and my Sierra has leafs. The 2 ride very differently. Also, unloaded the truck is much lighter out back. As for strength I’ll take either one. They’re both stout.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big problem with the fully boxed frame is rust. Depending on where you live and how you use the machine that can really make for a disaster. See it a lot in my area. 4x4 trucks and Jeeps. The hydroformed frames are very strong but impossible to wash out.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the frame is designed to have some flex and retain it's form, pickup trucks will flex more than a suv, that's why there is a gap between the cab and the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660