LS Rocker arm upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a pretty well known upgrade for those of us who have installed high-lift cams. I went with the Smith Brothers kit for my 08 and just used a couple appropriate-sized sockets and my bench vise to install them. It was the second time I installed a kit, the first time was on my 02 but I decided to splurge for the Yella Terra full roller kit because it supposedly adds 25 HP/ 20 TQ. I sold the upgraded stock rockers. I have never heard of people upgrading because of high mileage though. I guess it’s something to consider.
Edit: in case anyone wants to see what the Yella Terras look like:

IMG_7007.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, did not know how long they have been around so I thought I would share. Hope others also post experiences with them.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option, and one I'll be going with, is bronze bushed trunnions like Mark has.

Back in 2013, Comp had a needle bearing upgrade kit I bought and installed on some 33K-mile rockers for an LQ9 I was building. I never used them so I put them in my brother's truck when I redid his 5.3 last year. A few months ago, I found that Comp's upgrade kit was having failures that appeared to be due to improper hardening of the trunnion and most failures seemed to be from around that era. Just to be on the safe side, I'll be swapping those rockers for some new OEM ones I bought for my 5.3 and replacing the Comp kit with a bushed kit to go in mine.

Chert_Detective

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had never really given much thought to people upgrading due to mileage either, kinda makes sense though with how much wear it sees. I have the CHE kit on my stock rockers since I just can't justify the price per gain yet for a set of aftermarket ls3 rockers, but like it's already been mentioned any bronze bush kit will do the job, I would trust Smith and CHE before others though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645