Lookee Lookee at this Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackmcmillan

Reaction score
As embarrassing as it is, this truly looks like S.O.P. for any southern or otherwise agriculture-based locale... Those pins can stand any-damn-thing, too! And if that trailer was (hopefully) empty, it probably isn't THAT bad on the truck, either! Hehe, The Great White North are full of such nice rednecks! Joking BTW! ;-) My ex-FIL is a hoof trimmer (he's so humble, he thinks Farrier is too "high-falootin' a name" for the work he does). That man's gotta be around 70 and still works 7 days a week in 4 different states towing the chute he uses to trap and position them to (try to) avoid catching a full-force kick by the overgrown lugs! Same pin, decades of use, not even a slight bend. Ahh, thanks for jogging those memories for me, good times!

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An empty 53 foot dry van weighs 12,000 pounds, he was using a converter gear so there was very little tounge weight, the hitch was plenty secure if the trailer was empty, he had brakes and lights functioning and I bet he had a commercial driver's license.

So what exactly was he ticketed for, looking unusual?

I use my Duramax to move my semi trailers around all the time when they are empty and it's convenient; I am struggling to see why this is "news"?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Mass vs. Inertia. On private property it’s a convenient way to shuffle trailers around without the cost of purchasing a Semi. Once on the road, the poor truck would be pushed through a red light at speed over 5-10 mph.

Op is correct, the 1st time you see triples you’ll wonder if it’s legal and or safe. At UPS we do it in low population areas. There’s talk of working w/ Tesla on some routes to roll out their EV trucks. The cool part is in 2020 we start delivering on Sundays. Those triple drivers who run sleepers will get at least 96¢ a mile on weekends w/ the new contracts.

915fc2cb523501056b01327a0803f101.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff O

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Towing regulations are based on the rated amount of the trailer, not the actual weight of the trailer with or without anything on it. Exceeding the GWR is illegal in all cases, but if a truck is rated to pull 10,000 lbs, it is illegal to pull e.g a trailer rated for 12,000 lbs even if its empty. Another aspect of this illegal setup is the home made hitch setup. Hitches must be DOT approved at certain weight rating. Likewise tow chains must match the GWR of the trailer. Two chains at the trailer maximum rating are required. Most states and feds require two, but some states only one for intrastate use. There also also many exceptions for farm towing Generally these apply only within 10-25 miles of home and vary by state. See Title 49 CFR for basics on regulations.
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2011-title49-vol5-sec393-71.xml

mackmcmillan

Reaction score
Mass vs. Inertia. On private property it’s a convenient way to shuffle trailers around without the cost of purchasing a Semi. Once on the road, the poor truck would be pushed through a red light at speed over 5-10 mph.

Op is correct, the 1st time you see triples you’ll wonder if it’s legal and or safe. At UPS we do it in low population areas. There’s talk of working w/ Tesla on some routes to roll out their EV trucks. The cool part is in 2020 we start delivering on Sundays. Those triple drivers who run sleepers will get at least 96¢ a mile on weekends w/ the new contracts.

I bet the drivers are stoked for the extra income! I hope it's a great thing for all involved!

ajgreen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those triples in Cali. scared the crap out of me and the wife. Of course, we were on a Harley going 70 on the 101 at the time! Fun times.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those triples in Cali. scared the crap out of me and the wife. Of course, we were on a Harley going 70 on the 101 at the time! Fun times.
triples are not allowed in California, they are in Oregon and I think Arizona not sure where else a couple of states allow them, if you saw them on 101 it must have in been Oregon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holzl88