Low oil pressure at idle, pulling my hair out, looking for any and all options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rebuilder (ex) is adamant that the Cam Motion stage 2 is the exact same as the BTR Truck Norris, or so close that they would perform exactly the same. Pushed him to the back burner and talking to my other engine guy.
Good call to put that guy on the back burner. The BTR Truck Norris cam does NOT have the same specs as the Cam Motion Stage 2 truck cam. The lift and durations are very close but the difference is in the lobe separation angle. Truck Norris = 107 and the Cam Motion is 117. That's the difference between a ton of idle chop and a smooth idle. If chop is what you want, then go for it, but I had a choppy cam for a while and hated it for daily driving.

OP
OP
Levin37

Levin37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So quick update; LS364/425 is ready for next week 8K Cdn delivered to my doorstep. Would still need to swap the cam and springs to match so add another G, and then $750 for a dyno tune but that's happening regardless. Might still go that way in the end but not now. Truck still drivable and has good power and pressure most of the time but it gets "stuck" and will only rumble along at like 80kph with no power and then not restart, like the timing is fully advanced(or retarded). So I've made the choice to just do a top end tear down, get the heads off and cam out, inspect the bearings. Bearings bad, pull the block for rebuild/swap, bearings good then new cam, VVT delete and new/rebuilt heads. Top end could use a refresh anyways and I believe the block to be solid for another 100k or so. I've gone ahead and ordered a pile of parts, like 5k worth, so I'm committed now. Used Geotrashs cam swap thread for a guideline, so props to him, it really helped me get my mind around things. Here's the list;

From Summit;
ARP 134-1202 - ARP Chromoly Header Bolt Kits
ARP 134-3610 - ARP Pro Series Cylinder Head Bolt Kits
ARP 234-2503 - ARP Balancer Bolts
Flotek LS3-500 - FLOTEK 276cc LS3 Cylinder Heads
Summit Racing SUM-8720-1 - Summit Racing™ Pro LS Camshaft & Spring
Summit Racing SUM-V8010-8 - Summit Racing™ Race Valves for Chevrolet
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-30678505 - Trick Flow® VVT Delete Combos

Michigan Motorsports (Ebay store)
5/16 7.400 Chromoly Pushrods
LS3 Rocker Arms with upgraded Trunion Kit Installed
Delphi LS7 Lifters and Guide Trays

Rock Auto
FEL-PRO 26192PT Cylinder Head Gasket
GM GENUINE 12569427 Intake Valve
GM GENUINE 12589016 Camshaft Gasket
GM GENUINE 12600936 Rocker Arm Shaft Support
GM GENUINE 12639759 Air Deflector

Amazon
MAHLE Original MS16124 Exhaust Manifold Gasket
ACDelco 252-901 Professional Water Pump
GM LS Harmonic Balancer Install Tool Pulley
Valve Spring Compressor Tool Compatible with GM
Lucas Oil 10153 Assembly Lube

Have a few more little parts and speciality tools to order, building another list.

Will update again once I have it apart and possibly create another thread for the head build/engine assembly

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So quick update; LS364/425 is ready for next week 8K Cdn delivered to my doorstep. Would still need to swap the cam and springs to match so add another G, and then $750 for a dyno tune but that's happening regardless. Might still go that way in the end but not now. Truck still drivable and has good power and pressure most of the time but it gets "stuck" and will only rumble along at like 80kph with no power and then not restart, like the timing is fully advanced(or retarded). So I've made the choice to just do a top end tear down, get the heads off and cam out, inspect the bearings. Bearings bad, pull the block for rebuild/swap, bearings good then new cam, VVT delete and new/rebuilt heads. Top end could use a refresh anyways and I believe the block to be solid for another 100k or so. I've gone ahead and ordered a pile of parts, like 5k worth, so I'm committed now. Used Geotrashs cam swap thread for a guideline, so props to him, it really helped me get my mind around things. Here's the list;

From Summit;

Rock Auto

Amazon

Have a few more little parts and speciality tools to order, building another list.

Will update again once I have it apart and possibly create another thread for the head build/engine assembly
Solid plan. Thanks for following up with your progress.

Last edited:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will probably end up needed a little diff length pushrods... but you'll have to assemble
it all first, then do the procedure to get your zero lash... So don't throw away your
receipt on those push rods, or wait til it's together then order what you need.
You will def need a good bit of tuning with that cam just to get it start up...
it WILL be choppy with the 112* lobe sep and 218/227 duration

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the specs of your summit kit...
That's seems like a weird valve spring to use: 600 max lift when your
cam IS 600 lift... I know it's a kit so there must be some variance, but I'd double check
with summit that those springs will work

kruznlow69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

From Summit;

Rock Auto

Amazon

Any updates???

VERY similar situation. Rebuilt L92. Forged pistons, .005 power hone, OE cam. All good internals and so on. P0011 code at startup and stabilitrack codes. Ran for a month with same code, then started stalling out at stop lights. Live scanning data showed oil pressure drop to 6psi driving around a corner to a stop then killed. No restart till cold then same over and over. Can start and idlie till hot and idle for hours, once driving, will reset code then die at low rpm.

Pulled oil pan and timing cover. All new VVT parts, pickup o-ring, high pressure/volume melling oil pump, oil and filter. Cold start 65PSI, power brake almost 80 psi. Have not plugged oil pan pressure relieve valve.

Motor has all new forged pistons, new bearings, etc, OE cam. Minor scoring on cylinder walls which is why we did the power hone to 4.070. Since rebuild AND before We have lots of lifter/valve train noise cold, once warm, nice and quiet. New lifters, rockers with trunion upgrades and pushrods on rebuild.

Just parked it again to do some homework. Didn't see any issues with cam bearings when pan was down but didn't closely inspect. Odd thing in, once cold, will be 60PSI idle again. If walking cam bearings crank counterweights would contact right and be serious issue? Not just go away with cool down.

Also, mechanical Snap On gauge tapped into block plug on front driver side right behind oil pump verified pressures with gauges down to 20psi. Once below 20 psi, dash was about 5-10 below mech gauge but oil flow diagram shows many splits right at the oil valley below OE sender location.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates???

VERY similar situation. Rebuilt L92. Forged pistons, .005 power hone, OE cam. All good internals and so on. P0011 code at startup and stabilitrack codes. Ran for a month with same code, then started stalling out at stop lights. Live scanning data showed oil pressure drop to 6psi driving around a corner to a stop then killed. No restart till cold then same over and over. Can start and idlie till hot and idle for hours, once driving, will reset code then die at low rpm.

Pulled oil pan and timing cover. All new VVT parts, pickup o-ring, high pressure/volume melling oil pump, oil and filter. Cold start 65PSI, power brake almost 80 psi. Have not plugged oil pan pressure relieve valve.

Motor has all new forged pistons, new bearings, etc, OE cam. Minor scoring on cylinder walls which is why we did the power hone to 4.070. Since rebuild AND before We have lots of lifter/valve train noise cold, once warm, nice and quiet. New lifters, rockers with trunion upgrades and pushrods on rebuild.

Just parked it again to do some homework. Didn't see any issues with cam bearings when pan was down but didn't closely inspect. Odd thing in, once cold, will be 60PSI idle again. If walking cam bearings crank counterweights would contact right and be serious issue? Not just go away with cool down.

Also, mechanical Snap On gauge tapped into block plug on front driver side right behind oil pump verified pressures with gauges down to 20psi. Once below 20 psi, dash was about 5-10 below mech gauge but oil flow diagram shows many splits right at the oil valley below OE sender location.
There are a few things that can cause oil pressure bleed-off on the L92 besides cam bearings:

1/ The L92 block is cast with the AFM towers in place, but they're sealed by o-rings on the bottom side of the valley pan. Did you replace the valley pan and/or the o-rings when you did the rebuild? If not, this would be my prime suspect in your case.

2/ The valve in the oil pan is a pop-off valve so if it's open, you'll have almost no pressure so I don't suspect that.

3/ There is a dog bone in the oil galley on the rear of the engine inside the bell housing. The o-rings on it can get hard over time and bleed off pressure when the oil thins out.

Also, if the cam bearing clearance is opening up, it doesn't mean that the cam will walk. It only means that the bearing clearances open up to the point that when the oil is hot it has a hard time maintaining pressure.

A short-term fix until you can get it apart to investigate would likely be Lucas oil stabilizer.

kruznlow69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are a few things that can cause oil pressure bleed-off on the L92 besides cam bearings:

1/ The L92 block is cast with the AFM towers in place, but they're sealed by o-rings on the bottom side of the valley pan. Did you replace the valley pan and/or the o-rings when you did the rebuild? If not, this would be my prime suspect in your case.

2/ The valve in the oil pan is a pop-off valve so if it's open, you'll have almost no pressure so I don't suspect that.

3/ There is a dog bone in the oil galley on the rear of the engine inside the bell housing. The o-rings on it can get hard over time and bleed off pressure when the oil thins out.

Also, if the cam bearing clearance is opening up, it doesn't mean that the cam will walk. It only means that the bearing clearances open up to the point that when the oil is hot it has a hard time maintaining pressure.

A short-term fix until you can get it apart to investigate would likely be Lucas oil stabilizer.
New valley o-rings, very specific to order btw.

Brand new AC Delco oil pan which included that valve.

Felpro gasket kit included a new barbell which was installed.

Spoke to a could LS builders today, sounds like cam retainer plate can get worn and cause issues, even if only .001" out of spec. Always plug the relief valve, and triple check the barbell on place. Lastly check the cam bearings as much as possible with oil pan off.

SOOOO, we are going to pull motor back out.

Pass motor mount is shot, already did the H2 driver side upgrade but had a clunk and Revere power brake shows bad mount.

Only way to replace barbell if needed minus pulling trans, transfer case.

Easier to pull oil pan.

Easier to pull cam while out to inspect bearings, found a cheat with 5/16 solid rod to keep lifters in place.

Gotta pull exhaust manifolds, were just out so easy pull for mount.

Still same fluids dropped/wasted.

Annnnnnd just no more chances, especially with all new VVT parts already installed to no avail.

Gotta be a bigger internal bleeding problem, oil is leaking out and pump isn't starved. Dropping almost 50# of oil pressure once hot is insane.

Anyone else have any info??? Everything has been replaced minus the cam retainer plate.