Loss of oil pressure in my 2007 Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Crazy. I had the same (2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL 6.2L), including picking up from body shop (December) by being hit by deer! Oil pressure dropped 1 mile from shop. Did quick oil change...fixed for 30 miles when low oil light comes on, "turn off engine".

Brought to stealership, said may need new engine ($7K). Drove home with no dashboard warnings or noise.

Oil light again a few days later. Replaced Oil pressure sending unit (and manually checked pressure at 40PSI)...fixed for 3 miles. Oil light back on, now some ticking noises. Ordered Oil pump kit, pickup o-ring, etc. to see if this solves it once and for all.

Hi.. I took my 2007 Tahoe to the body shop to get fixed from hitting a deer, to make a long story short.. I was otw home from the body shop and all of a sudden my engine light come on with "low oil pressure" shut engine off popped up. I noticed my oil pressure was at zero, so i pulled over checked my oil level and it was good. So I proced home and it happened again a few miles down the road, eventually i got it home. After doing some research on you tube most videos indicated a bad oil sending unit sensor and or filter. The next day I bought a new sensor and filter " which is a pain to install but worth the money from what a dealership will charge",but anyway after the installation I drove my Tahoe down the road and the oil pressure was good and then all of a sudden it happened again, no oil pressure... My Tahoe has over 200,000 miles on it and i change my oil every 3,000-3,500 miles..

any suggestions on what could be causing this issue.. Thanks !!

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tell me James if I'm understanding correctly. You hit a deer and took it to the body shop. Since then you've had intermittent low oil pressure problems? First place I'd look is the oil cooler lines and anyplace that deer done damage if it went under. It's possible that the body shop had a little too much fun with your truck too while in their care. If everything else looks good it's probably the infamous o-ring.

Welcome to the forum and do let us know how it all works out! What state do you call home?

Triggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks correct. The same situation as CEQ21 above. Deer strike was only superficial (headlight, hood -horns, driver fender) and the deer bounced off. I ordered the pump, o-ring, etc. I'm getting tired of troubleshooting this issue so I figured I'd just do next steps (o-ring, filter screen, pick-up cleaning) as well as the pump. This is now a secondary vehicle. :/

North Carolina.

So tell me James if I'm understanding correctly. You hit a deer and took it to the body shop. Since then you've had intermittent low oil pressure problems? First place I'd look is the oil cooler lines and anyplace that deer done damage if it went under. It's possible that the body shop had a little too much fun with your truck too while in their care. If everything else looks good it's probably the infamous o-ring.

Welcome to the forum and do let us know how it all works out! What state do you call home?

Triggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, after Oil Pressure sending unit replacement, I still received bells and whistles to "turn off engine!" after a couple of miles.

This week I installed the oil pickup tube o-ring. Drove for 40+ miles. No ticking, no "shut off engine" warning and had good oil pressure but did receive a Stabilitrak P0011 error. Seems to be running fine. I may try Lucas Synthetic Oil Treatment mentioned in other posts before I go down the path of cam position sensor, etc. A single P0011 is a lot better than all the previous warnings.

I also have a new oil pump in storage. :/

Crazy. I had the same (2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL 6.2L), including picking up from body shop (December) by being hit by deer! Oil pressure dropped 1 mile from shop. Did quick oil change...fixed for 30 miles when low oil light comes on, "turn off engine".

Brought to stealership, said may need new engine ($7K). Drove home with no dashboard warnings or noise.

Oil light again a few days later. Replaced Oil pressure sending unit (and manually checked pressure at 40PSI)...fixed for 3 miles. Oil light back on, now some ticking noises. Ordered Oil pump kit, pickup o-ring, etc. to see if this solves it once and for all.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10,000 miles and going after I was told I needed a new engine but replaced the oil pick-up tube o-ring instead!
Great news!!!

Triggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
10,000 miles and going after I was told I needed a new engine but replaced the oil pick-up tube o-ring instead!
Well, here we are many many miles later and P0011 appears after 3 yearss and my latest oil change. This time I forgot to use Lucas Oil treatment. She stalled out at a stop sign and wouldn't start for about 30 minutes. I'm on my way for Lucas Oil Treatment now. That seemed to have done the trick last time following the o-ring replacement.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here we are many many miles later and P0011 appears after 3 yearss and my latest oil change. This time I forgot to use Lucas Oil treatment. She stalled out at a stop sign and wouldn't start for about 30 minutes. I'm on my way for Lucas Oil Treatment now. That seemed to have done the trick last time following the o-ring replacement.
I think if the Lucas treatment doesn't fix it this time, I would be inclined to replace the camshaft position sensor, the VVT magnet adjuster and the VVT solenoid (the bolt). If it is any of the above, it likely is only one of them (most likely the solenoid, given your past woes were oil pressure related) but since you will be in there anyway, the whole kit is like $100.

Triggy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turns out I needed to clean the throttle body this time. After a thorough cleaning, no more stalling at stop signs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645