Loss of oil pressure in my 2007 Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me put my 2 cents in. This happened to me, the dealer explanation was that I was using a cheap oil filter, so they replaced it with a delco filter. I don't know if that was true, but it hasn't happen to me again. So i'm assuming they might have some thought into that.
Success! Swapped out the oil pressure sensor. Same issue as before. Read some more on the forum; asked a few more questions. Dropped the oil (time for a change anyway). Mechanic who leases space down from my unit talked about the oil filter. So that got swapped out with the old oil anyway. New oil in; new AC oil filter. No more low oil pressure. Will see if the problem is solved by a few days of running. Thanks guys for the input. You helped me out :party33:

breighard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This exact same scenario happened on my 2007 suburban. I started to notice oil pressure falling off periodically. 1 week later, it falls off to zero and message come up to turn off engine. Waited several minutes, turned truck back on and had 40psi. Drove home several miles but pressure again falling off by the time I hit my driveway. All signs pointed to the oil sending unit according to two dealers I spoke with. (There cost about $400) I noticed the post on this site that said change your oil filter. I was about due for a oil/filter change anyway, so that is what I did. Problem Solved! Running just fine for the last month.

nosrndr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and searching this topic. Have a 2008 Suburban. Bought new. 145K miles. Has been a good car for the most part. Had to have lifters replaced by dealer several months ago. Loud tapping sound with flashing check engine light. ANYWAY.....Driving home from a ski trip tonight, a 4 hour drive out of the mountains. Weather had been around zero, now warmed to 20. While on interstate, I got the dreaded "low oil pressure turn off engine now" warning. Naturally this happened with NO exits, NO cell signal, 20 degrees and a car full of kids. I turned off the engine, waited a minute or two, and restarted. Oil pressure popped to +40 and held for a few miles, then started to drop. I drove to a convenience store and bought a couple quarts of 5w30. Added one. Pressure popped to +40, then held between 20-30 for remainder of
trip home (another 130 miles). Got home OK and will make calls tomorrow. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. First check in the morning will be the oil level. Note: All service has always been done by Chevrolet Dealer.
Many thanks!!

nosrndr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I let the car sit in the garage overnight and checked the oil this morning and the level is good. While my indicator says I have 40% oil life left, I don't put much faith in that. If I read this thread correctly, I am going to proceed in this order with my troubleshooting....

1) Change the oil and put in new filter.
2) Check/clean the pick up screen.
3) Check for possible bad o-ring on the pick-up tube.
3) replace oil pump and/or sending unit.

I am guessing that I have these listed in order of
lowest to highest cost too.....

Let me know if I am off base. Thanks to all for their input!!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I let the car sit in the garage overnight and checked the oil this morning and the level is good. While my indicator says I have 40% oil life left, I don't put much faith in that. If I read this thread correctly, I am going to proceed in this order with my troubleshooting....

1) Change the oil and put in new filter.
2) Check/clean the pick up screen.
3) Check for possible bad o-ring on the pick-up tube.
3) replace oil pump and/or sending unit.

I am guessing that I have these listed in order of
lowest to highest cost too.....

Let me know if I am off base. Thanks to all for their input!!

This sounds about right and if your issue is anything like mine the oil change will fix it until around the "50% oil life" spot or slightly lower. Several months back I had to have my lifters replaced as well due to lifter failure and ever since then I can't go too much past the 3k mark between oil changes. I've driven about 6500 miles since the lifter issue happened back in June. I got your same symptoms about 3300 miles after the lifter replacement and was about to do an oil change anyway. After a lot of troubleshooting I stumbled across this thread and had the shop go ahead and do an oil change. I prefer to do these on my own and had planned on it the following weekend but I didn't have a choice. The oil change fixed the issue. Well fast forward to last week. It had been 3100 miles since that event and I was going to be changing the oil this last weekend when the weather actually warmed up. Well the issue arose again while the wife was running errands. The fix? Oil change.

So Friday I bought 6 oil filters to stock up on my supplies and over the next few months I'm going to change my oil once a month or so and each time I'm going to open up the oil filter to see what kind of shape it's in as it's my theory that something more significant may be going on causing the oil filter to fail and therefore causing the oil pump not to operate correctly. We shall see what the end result is but I'm preparing for the fact that I may be putting a new motor in my burb at some point.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know all this seems so horrible. My 1996 Tahoe had 198,000 when I sold it.

I don't have the same faith for the 5.3 afm anymore.

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know all this seems so horrible. My 1996 Tahoe had 198,000 when I sold it.

I don't have the same faith for the 5.3 anymore.

Agreed....Up until about 9 months ago I was pretty confident in the 5.3 but that confidence level has plummeted since then. Through my research I've seen similar issues with the 6.0 as well. So it's not just the 5.3. It's this generation of LS based motors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali