Loss of oil pressure in my 2007 Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I was driving my 2007 Chev Suburban LT (5.3) when all of a sudden this alarm went off and the DIC text read 'engine oil pressure low stop engine now'. My Burb has never once dripped a single drop of oil or any engine issues. I pulled of the highway at a convenience store and added some oil (wasn't that low to begin with). I started the Burb back up and oil pressure went just past 40 where it most always is. I drove it down the street only to watch the pressure gauge fall and fall until the alarm went off again. Drove home and parked.

I just got the Burb completely detailed yesterday. I mean evrything. Even sgteam cleaned the engine bay. Trying to sell it. Has 152k on it.

Any thoughts as to what is happening with the oil pressure?:emotions122:

Attachments

• DSC_1646.jpg
    DSC_1646.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 29

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my guess is when they cleaned the engine bay, some sensor or something got messed up...

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to drop the oil pan and clean out the pickup screen on an 07 with about 90k miles for a customer. It had a bunch of sludge and crap clogging it up and causing the same problem. The owner wasn't very good with keeping up with their oil changes.

Are you the original owner of yours?

But like SS said it could be caused by the steam cleaning.

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to drop the oil pan and clean out the pickup screen on an 07 with about 90k miles for a customer. It had a bunch of sludge and crap clogging it up and causing the same problem. The owner wasn't very good with keeping up with their oil changes.

Are you the original owner of yours?

But like SS said it could be caused by the steam cleaning.
I am the second owner as the Burb was a program vehicle at GM. I got it with 14k miles on it. I'm pretty good about regular oil changes to. Thing is with my Burb, it has always used a little oil between changes. Always. I've had it checked stem to stern and no plausible explanation. No blue smoke, nothin. Just talked to my partner's shop foreman. He's thinking new oil pump and sending unit. Found both on gmparts.com. Not too expensive just a pain to drop the oil pan etc.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it took less than an hour to get the pan down so it's worth checking out the screen to keep from killing the motor.

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it took less than an hour to get the pan down so it's worth checking out the screen to keep from killing the motor.
Thanks Kevin. What all will be in the way of dropping the pan? Cross member? Drive shaft?

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I did it but if I remember correctly it does have a crossmember that just bolts on underneath the pan. I don't remember it being difficult at all but it has been MANY jobs ago.

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I did it but if I remember correctly it does have a crossmember that just bolts on underneath the pan. I don't remember it being difficult at all but it has been MANY jobs ago.
Ok guys we replaced the engine oil pressure sensor. This forum has been darned handy to as we easily located the sensor from information derived from the forum. But, even with the new sensor replaced, same thing. Start up the burb, oil pressure goes right up. Take off down the road, and you can watch the gauge fall. The alarm goes off and I drive back to the shop. Engine running fine. No clanking or anything. What the hell is it?

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..... you can watch the gauge fall. The alarm goes off and I drive back to the shop. Engine running fine. No clanking or anything. What the hell is it?

Sounds like low oil pressure. Low pressure will still keep the engine lubricated

somewhat, but I wouldn't drive it too much. Might need an oil pump.

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me put my 2 cents in. This happened to me, the dealer explanation was that I was using a cheap oil filter, so they replaced it with a delco filter. I don't know if that was true, but it hasn't happen to me again. So i'm assuming they might have some thought into that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont