Looking for low cost replacement for stereo head unit in 2003 Tahoe LS...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dawg82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Base model LS with no steering wheel controls, four door speakers and head unit with non-functioning CD and cassette. Want to replace with head unit with Bluetooth that will wire into existing speakers. Have watched a few installation videos and would like to avoid cutting inside dash if possible. Recommendations?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend that you go to the Crutchfield web site and enter your truck's info, and see what is available for your truck. Once you have a few candidates in mind, call Crutchfield and talk to one of their Techs about what else you might need to complete the installation. Even if you wind up not purchasing from Crutchfield, you will receive quality advice on achieving a solution that meets your needs.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto @Joseph Garcia advice...

I just got a Boss Audio head unit from Crutchfield. Plug and play.

If you have a double din opening, this radio will fit the dash without cutting.

For $25, it was worth every penny to order the Crutchfield Ready Harness wiring service!
No splicing.

I was done in less than an hour.
20221119_193450 (2).jpg

I also added a rear back-up camera.
The connections in the ready harness already have a reverse-trigger figured out, so the camera only needed a ground at the back and one connection to the 12v+ rear camera wire on the back of the new radio.

I got radio for $259.

Everything together was about $430.

Between phone and head unit audio settings, it took some adjusting to dial in the sound they way I like it. But I have that all figured out, so it sounds great!

Because you don't have steering wheel control, your harness and related stuff might be a little less money...

Enter what you have on the online site, then talk or live chat with a person there at Crutchfield to have them advise you on exactly what you should get. They are really great and will not pressure you to spend more than you can!

Happy new year!

OP
OP
Dawg82

Dawg82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

For $25, it was worth every penny to order the Crutchfield Ready Harness wiring service!
No splicing.

View attachment 388472

The connections in the ready harness already have a reverse-trigger figured out, so the camera only needed a ground at the back and one connection to the 12v+ rear camera wire on the back of the new radio.

I got radio for $259.

Between phone and head unit audio settings, it took some adjusting to dial in the sound they way I like it. But I have that all figured out, so it sounds great!

Because you don't have steering wheel control, your harness and related stuff might be a little less money...

Enter what you have on the online site, then talk or live chat with a person there at Crutchfield to have them advise you on exactly what you should get. They are really great and will not pressure you to spend more than you can!

Happy new year!
Thanks. Two votes for Crutchfield. That Boss is the one I picked because of apple carplay. Was taking off the dash as simple as they show it on YouTube?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Two votes for Crutchfield. That Boss is the one I picked because of apple carplay. Was taking off the dash as simple as they show it on YouTube?
Drop the shift lever all the way down. The trim pops off just by pulling on it. No tools required. It clips in, so just grab the trim piece and gently pull.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I routed the USB charging wire and the Car Play/Android Auto USB wire out the bottom right corner of the dash trim, so they hang by the center console on the passenger side. I didn't feel like pulling other things apart or drilling, so I let the wires hang out that corner and snapped the trim back on. Works for me...

You can (kind of) see them in the photo posted above.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And drop the tilt wheel all the way down before pulling off the trim panel. My USB cable runs from the back of my unit, hidden and over to the glovebox where it's stored for handy access.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was the Boyo backup cam I got. It was $49.

When I looked just now... It is only $39!!! Ends today...

Wide angle, IR for night. 0 LUX required for night visibility. Other cams require a little bit of ambient light to see.

20221202_162148 (2).jpg

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No splicing.

View attachment 388472

I got radio for $259.

Happy new year!
Nice. That's a clean set up. I was on the fence about converting to double-din since my '02 is single (or 1 1/2) Spent hours looking online at what others did and my options and then found this. Spent $250 for the Android head unit/screen, $35 for the rear camera. Both from Ebay. And then recently $35 to unlock some awesome looking new dashboard themes
0736449B-8971-441D-8E3F-CC8829B37A50.jpeg
BA176B68-347C-448C-937A-538A95E6BACE.jpeg

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. That's a clean set up. I was on the fence about converting to double-din since my '02 is single (or 1 1/2) Spent hours looking online at what others did and my options and then found this. Spent $250 for the Android head unit/screen, $35 for the rear camera. Both from Ebay. And then recently $35 to unlock some awesome looking new dashboard themes
View attachment 389837
View attachment 389838
Nice info. display!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts