Looking for a good head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phaley99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like the title says I’m looking to upgrade my head unit in my 2008 z71. It currently has the non touchscreen stereo and no backup can.
Wanting to know what people have installed, how you like it, ease of installation, and possibility of adding a backup cam.
Pictures of installed units are great too.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many folks here use Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine. Any of these brands will work great for you.

I recommend that you go to the Crutchfield web site, as they carry these brands, with models with different feature sets at many price points. They will also consult with you and give you honest and accurate information on vehicle/year compatibility, along with information regarding any other equipment that you will need to complete the installation. For example, if you want to keep your steering wheel controls, you will need an additional module, along with the head unit. Even if you don't end up purchasing from Crutchfield, you can use their price as a benchmark to shop around for, once you have selected a head unit that you want.

I've had Kenwood head units in a number of my vehicles, and I like them.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Kenwood DNX575S here. Very happy with it.

Installed using the IDatalink Maestro RR to retain all the factory features like steering wheel controls and rear seat entertainment.

It has built in Garmin GPS which is what sold me on it.

With the Maestro, and it plugged into your OBD2 port, you also get extra features like tire pressure on the screen, door ajar indicators, extra engine gauges on the screen that are selectable/reconfigurable, check engine light warning on the screen and it will tell you the code and allow you to clear the code from the head unit.

Plus other stuff I am probably forgetting.

Last edited:

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
1F7ABFD2-CB46-440E-B509-6E32A769C1BC.jpeg Kenwood here too. I like it, but currently I’ve got a glitch where I have to shut the unit down prior to shutting the engine off or else all the electronics stays on until my battery is drained.

My OEM backup camera seems to have lost quality during the night as well (no big deal). I love how it made my speakers come to life as well as all the audio tuning available.

I, too, installed all the Maestro stuff. Hardest part was trying to cram all that stuff in...

C1510369-55C5-44FF-9336-B87D4536EFCF.jpeg

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
And yes...I did all of my wiring on a piece of cardboard on top of my garbage cans. :peace:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14

Latest posts