List of Repairs - DIY or Mechanic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancem

Reaction score
I don't see anything I couldn't do in the driveway my only thought on the whole thing is why change just one shock in the front? If one is bad the other can't be far behind, I would change them both.

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Those are some insane labor rates. The ball joints are just ball joints, no control arms in the quote. Once the truck was up on the lift any decent mechanic could remove and replace those ball joints while simultaneously flipping the pages of his ******* and finish the whole job in 30 - 45 minutes flat. I just replaced the control arms with ball joints , stabilizer links, tie rods, struts, pads and rotors all at once on my Cadillac DTS. Definitely different vehicle, but I can tell you any garage mechanic can do it. However I will predicate it on this, its a fair amount of work you are proposing. It took me 3 weekends to do all the work I mentioned, because a. I am not inclined to do it all at once, and b. I didn't need the vehicle. I worked 2 - 4 hours each day, total of 4 days out of the 3 weeks.

My advice: 1. You need to know what you are doing when you start out with regards to safety. You need torque wrenches and torque tables. You need more than simple wrenches to do this type of work. It takes planning to have everything ready. You need ramps, jack stands, jacks, etc. You need the parts, and all the tools, you need the time and a place to do it. Finally , although the people on forums like this will tell you its simple, it because they are experienced. If you are experienced you will still have a challenge ahead of you , but of course its doable.

If it were me I would not want to tackle it this time of year, cause I like relaxing during the holidays, but if I was 20 I would eat it up!

Hey Bill. I actually did the same thing with my 350z. Rebuilt the entire suspension (it's a 2003). I'm talking every, single, part. Like you, it took me three+ weekends as well. I understand the the challanges ahead, just as @Darryl pointed out - things do not always go as planned. Again, I was just looking for advice from anyone who's done any of these repairs themselves.

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
I don't see anything I couldn't do in the driveway my only thought on the whole thing is why change just one shock in the front? If one is bad the other can't be far behind, I would change them both.

I saw that as well. I think it was a typo and he forgot to put quantity to "2".

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DEFINITELY do the shocks and joints yourself. Super easy, but one caveat is to rent to the tool from Oreillys or whatever. Shocker as it may seem, the ball joint press from harbor freight isn't strong enough for these beasts.

That said, if your control arms are all rusted out, then definitely replace them in one component as suggested earlier.

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
DEFINITELY do the shocks and joints yourself. Super easy, but one caveat is to rent to the tool from Oreillys or whatever. Shocker as it may seem, the ball joint press from harbor freight isn't strong enough for these beasts.

That said, if your control arms are all rusted out, then definitely replace them in one component as suggested earlier.

Thanks Derick. I will probably replace the whole arm on both sides.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My other concern is that if you're going so far as to drop the oil pan and replace the gaskets......you might as well just replace the damn pump. If you dont have record of it being done, you might as well do it. They have a tendency to have a sticky ball/check valve, and apparently that will toast the engine. If you're dropping the pan, you'll have access to the oil pickup tube. You can get the replacement pump and pickup tube as a set at rockauto. Seems reasonable to do both because you're existing pickup tube might be crudded up.

As for shocks, go billstein. 33 bucks a pop. (not sure on the tahoe though, probably a different part number but I'm sure a similar price)

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and as for the control arms...generally a super easy job...generally. Unless your bushings are seized to the bolts. Then you're in for a treat. I'd highly suggest getting some cams and pins to have on standby in case you crack a cam, or pop out a pin. I cracked a single cam, and lost 2 pins because a bushing was sized up. I beat on that thing for about 2 hours with a hammer, and a torch. Good times.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1393845&cc=1433420

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=962908&cc=1433420

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
My other concern is that if you're going so far as to drop the oil pan and replace the gaskets......you might as well just replace the damn pump. If you dont have record of it being done, you might as well do it. They have a tendency to have a sticky ball/check valve, and apparently that will toast the engine. If you're dropping the pan, you'll have access to the oil pickup tube. You can get the replacement pump and pickup tube as a set at rockauto. Seems reasonable to do both because you're existing pickup tube might be crudded up.

As for shocks, go billstein. 33 bucks a pop. (not sure on the tahoe though, probably a different part number but I'm sure a similar price)

Great to know. This is the type of advice I really appreciate as it saves me from doing it all again in another year potentially.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Great to know. This is the type of advice I really appreciate as it saves me from doing it all again in another year potentially.

Also if you do change the oil pump you may as well change the timing chain because you have to pull it to change the oil pump.

When I did mine, I replaced the oil pump, oil pump pickup tube O-ring, and the timing chain with an LS2 chain.

GM says the timing chain is good for 200k miles.

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lower ball joint has its crimped lip, without removing the crimped lip with a chisel, the ball joint can not be pressed out without damaged Aluminum lower control arm.

The real labor should be higher than i hour.

Once the truck was up on the lift any decent mechanic could remove and replace those ball joints while simultaneously flipping the pages of his ******* and finish the whole job in 30 - 45 minutes flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9