Looking at 2016+ Suburban/Yukon XL, lots of questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We previously had a 2004 Tahoe that was ok, but started having a lot of little issues and was getting up over 100k. Picked up a brand new Durango R/T in 2015 and love it but with 4 kids, lots of sports and quite a bit of towing it's getting a little on the small side.

Recently we've been talking about getting into a bigger SUV and the Suburban/Yukon is obviously at the top of the short list. I've done a but of researching and looking around but have several questions pertaining to our usage and any insight from owners.

We aren't huge on super fancy interiors with all the bells and whistles but we wouldn't turn one down if it had it. Reliability is important which is why I kinda ruled out 15's and leaning more toward '17's and up. Can't afford a brand new one right now and would like to keep it around $40k or less. 4wd and towing are 2 things of most importance. Some question:

What towing options did the vehicles come with in recent years? I know they are rated at 8300ish lbs but anything change that with different options or make it easier/harder? We have a 27' TT that sits at around 6500-7k when we tow.

Any packages to really watch for and try to get or avoid?

6.2l would be great but think it might be out of our price range. Does the 5.3l and tranny in these respond well to mods if we go that route and want to pick up a little extra power for towing?

What are people seeing for real world mileage with the 5.3 or the 6.2? Our Durango is amazing and with the 5.7 will consistently get 22-23mpg with all of us in it but quickly drops to 9-10 when towing.

Anything else to consider when looking or that we should look at?

Thanks!

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd avoid anything with the 8 speed transmission and if you can get the 6.2 - Do it. It also sounds like you would benefit from the HD towing package with whatever route you choose.

OP
OP
N

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any easy indicators as to whether a vehicle has the Max Towing? I know the rear end ratio is different but a lot of time they don't list the ratio and the listings just say "tow hitch". Are there VIN indicators or any other features that are exclusive to Max Tow that might be listed?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We previously had a 2004 Tahoe that was ok, but started having a lot of little issues and was getting up over 100k. Picked up a brand new Durango R/T in 2015 and love it but with 4 kids, lots of sports and quite a bit of towing it's getting a little on the small side.

Recently we've been talking about getting into a bigger SUV and the Suburban/Yukon is obviously at the top of the short list. I've done a but of researching and looking around but have several questions pertaining to our usage and any insight from owners.

We aren't huge on super fancy interiors with all the bells and whistles but we wouldn't turn one down if it had it. Reliability is important which is why I kinda ruled out 15's and leaning more toward '17's and up. Can't afford a brand new one right now and would like to keep it around $40k or less. 4wd and towing are 2 things of most importance. Some question:

What towing options did the vehicles come with in recent years? I know they are rated at 8300ish lbs but anything change that with different options or make it easier/harder? We have a 27' TT that sits at around 6500-7k when we tow.

Any packages to really watch for and try to get or avoid?

6.2l would be great but think it might be out of our price range. Does the 5.3l and tranny in these respond well to mods if we go that route and want to pick up a little extra power for towing?

What are people seeing for real world mileage with the 5.3 or the 6.2? Our Durango is amazing and with the 5.7 will consistently get 22-23mpg with all of us in it but quickly drops to 9-10 when towing.

Anything else to consider when looking or that we should look at?

Thanks!
For $40k you should be able to find a 16+ denali with tow package and under 55k miles.

The 8 speed can be clunky but if you give it a good test drive you can rule out any major issues before you buy.

668036a790aba34fa0838c3304a2b49f.jpg

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow package is usually seen when you have the select-able transfer case with 2w, auto, 4high and a 4low switch. Denali may only have the auto and 4h, 4L options (if it doesn't have the 4 low as an option I don't think it has the tow package). It will also have the integrated brake controller on the left side of the steering wheel. I'm sure someone will chime in with the actual codes in the glove box you can check.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RPO code = NHT - Max Trailering Package. It should be listed on the glove box door sticker which has RPO codes

OP
OP
N

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Really helpful!

Outside of towing, anything else to look for or avoid in the 2016+ ones? I've heard that buffeting can be an issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts