Looking at 2016+ Suburban/Yukon XL, lots of questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Really helpful!

Outside of towing, anything else to look for or avoid in the 2016+ ones? I've heard that buffeting can be an issue?

The buffeting is hit or miss. Drive any prospective used vehicle at highway speeds and try windows up and cracked about 4 inches. Not all have it... in fact only some...

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
I sold my 2004 Yukon XL with over 311,000 miles to a neighbor and purchased a 2017 Yukon XL SLT from the GM Certified Pre-Owned plan. Car was a Enterprise Fleet rental car. Price was $38K with 42K miles on it. Has only 4WD High on mine. I occasionally move a 8,000 lb boat with mine for a friend. No issues, though I have not attempted to bring the boat up a boat launch after recovery.

I love the vehicle. Quickly got spoiled by the interior upgrade and all the new features I didn't have before. I now have approx 70K miles on the vehicle with no issue. I personally have only had the brake fade issue that was fixed with the GM recall (vacuum pump and associated pipe replacement), but none of the issues on buffeting or other items listed within these pages. Just lucky I guess. I did upgrade the rotors and pads to drilled and slotted ones to maximize stoppage, did AFM delete via tune and changed ALL fluids and plugs at 55,000 for my own mental well being. My family and I LOVE this vehicle and use it for everything from trips up/down East Coast to hauling junk to the dumpster.

I've run both premium and regular in the thing. my mpg ave's 18.5 with mostly town and some freeway. I'll get 20-23 when long distance driving with 3-5 people with luggage and dog in the car. MUCH better than the 2004!

We stayed with the XL version because we've owned both a standard Yukon and the XL and got quickly spoiled with how much more you can haul inside the truck and still be able to use all 3 seats comfortably. The only downside I discovered upon driving the new vehicle home: My garage was 2'' too short to park inside! Do measure before shopping if you have a short garage like mine!

I would gladly do the transaction again if I had to do it over. Best of luck in your decision making process!!

Will Campbell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I sold my 2004 Yukon XL with over 311,000 miles to a neighbor and purchased a 2017 Yukon XL SLT from the GM Certified Pre-Owned plan. Car was a Enterprise Fleet rental car. Price was $38K with 42K miles on it. Has only 4WD High on mine. I occasionally move a 8,000 lb boat with mine for a friend. No issues, though I have not attempted to bring the boat up a boat launch after recovery.

I love the vehicle. Quickly got spoiled by the interior upgrade and all the new features I didn't have before. I now have approx 70K miles on the vehicle with no issue. I personally have only had the brake fade issue that was fixed with the GM recall (vacuum pump and associated pipe replacement), but none of the issues on buffeting or other items listed within these pages. Just lucky I guess. I did upgrade the rotors and pads to drilled and slotted ones to maximize stoppage, did AFM delete via tune and changed ALL fluids and plugs at 55,000 for my own mental well being. My family and I LOVE this vehicle and use it for everything from trips up/down East Coast to hauling junk to the dumpster.

I've run both premium and regular in the thing. my mpg ave's 18.5 with mostly town and some freeway. I'll get 20-23 when long distance driving with 3-5 people with luggage and dog in the car. MUCH better than the 2004!

We stayed with the XL version because we've owned both a standard Yukon and the XL and got quickly spoiled with how much more you can haul inside the truck and still be able to use all 3 seats comfortably. The only downside I discovered upon driving the new vehicle home: My garage was 2'' too short to park inside! Do measure before shopping if you have a short garage like mine!

I would gladly do the transaction again if I had to do it over. Best of luck in your decision making process!!

Im considering a used 2018-2020 Suburban based on the advice received in my Tahoe thread. Is the Yukon XL as reliable and good of a choice? Anything that makes the Yukon XL a better option than the Suburban in the 2018-2020 year models? How about the Denali trim?

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
Im considering a used 2018-2020 Suburban based on the advice received in my Tahoe thread. Is the Yukon XL as reliable and good of a choice? Anything that makes the Yukon XL a better option than the Suburban in the 2018-2020 year models? How about the Denali trim?
They both are built at the same factory in Arlington Texas. In my research and in talking with owners as well as people who sell them the difference is primarily that of the interior. Mechanics of both vehicles are identical. GMC Versions are at a higher trim level.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Drive both both Burb & Denali XL. It’s easier to experience the difference in the trim levels than explain it. No sarcasm intended but you won’t notice things like how leather makes sliding in and out of the seats easier, a better noise/insulation package that allows you to have a conversation with a passenger without talking louder.

Whatever you get, budget in a GMPP or extended warranty to alleviate the hit that comes with oddball repairs. Tri zone A/C repairs and dealer diagnostic time are ferociously expensive now.

Leather is deff easier to keep clean and you’ll need the whole crew with you to decide if you like the center bench seat or captains chairs. We’ve had both and not having to pop a seat forward to get in/out of the third row with captains chairs is great. Captains chairs also leaves room for the kids to stretch their legs out from the 3rd to 2nd row space between the seats.

On the flip side the girls liked the 2nd row bench because it had a center armrest with another cup holder. They also used to put their blanket on the center arm rest and use it as a pillow. Look for packages that have a 3rd row DVD screen and you may end up keeping the vehicle longer.

Full electric and turbo diesel models are coming soon at premium prices. Consider the extended warranty to keep resale higher and avoid deferring repairs that can lead to causing new problems. Deff let the kiddos have a say in the seat configuration though. Good luck and have fun in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burkard

Reaction score
We previously had a 2004 Tahoe that was ok, but started having a lot of little issues and was getting up over 100k. Picked up a brand new Durango R/T in 2015 and love it but with 4 kids, lots of sports and quite a bit of towing it's getting a little on the small side.

Recently we've been talking about getting into a bigger SUV and the Suburban/Yukon is obviously at the top of the short list. I've done a but of researching and looking around but have several questions pertaining to our usage and any insight from owners.

We aren't huge on super fancy interiors with all the bells and whistles but we wouldn't turn one down if it had it. Reliability is important which is why I kinda ruled out 15's and leaning more toward '17's and up. Can't afford a brand new one right now and would like to keep it around $40k or less. 4wd and towing are 2 things of most importance. Some question:

What towing options did the vehicles come with in recent years? I know they are rated at 8300ish lbs but anything change that with different options or make it easier/harder? We have a 27' TT that sits at around 6500-7k when we tow.

Any packages to really watch for and try to get or avoid?

6.2l would be great but think it might be out of our price range. Does the 5.3l and tranny in these respond well to mods if we go that route and want to pick up a little extra power for towing?

What are people seeing for real world mileage with the 5.3 or the 6.2? Our Durango is amazing and with the 5.7 will consistently get 22-23mpg with all of us in it but quickly drops to 9-10 when towing.

Anything else to consider when looking or that we should look at?

Thanks!
Me and wife had a 2002 yukon with 4.8 it had 356000 miles on it traded up to 2010 GMC Yukon Denili. Because the 2002 didn't have 3rd row seats with 3 kids it was no room. The Denili has caption seat in front and next row then a bench much more room but lose the room in back for stuff. It has 6.2 which comes in all Denili. Gas about the same on highway but in town its about 14. If u stay off pedal. The engines are top of line. On highway it has some type of fuel management, it will turn off 2 to 4 of cylinders for better mileage. I would never buy anything else. The brand new ones are about 85 grand. But love the style from 2007 through 2015 I believe nice body lines. New ones are kind of squared. In the 6.2 would only run 89 and up on type of fuel. I like the fact that its worth what I paid for it and they hold their value. Always change the oil on time and change air filter. And should last u along time. Hope you find something that fits what your looking for.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any easy indicators as to whether a vehicle has the Max Towing? I know the rear end ratio is different but a lot of time they don't list the ratio and the listings just say "tow hitch". Are there VIN indicators or any other features that are exclusive to Max Tow that might be listed?
If you buy a Yukon Denali, it has the towing "goods" included.

OP
OP
N

NIevo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody mentioned avoiding the 8-speed, but getting the 6.2 if possible. Isn't the 8-speed the only option with the 6.2 in the newer ones?

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They both are built at the same factory in Arlington Texas. In my research and in talking with owners as well as people who sell them the difference is primarily that of the interior. Mechanics of both vehicles are identical. GMC Versions are at a higher trim level.
My understanding is that the Yukon’s have a tail light failure problem that is not prevalent on the Suburban or Tahoe.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody mentioned avoiding the 8-speed, but getting the 6.2 if possible. Isn't the 8-speed the only option with the 6.2 in the newer ones?

the 2018+ RST has 6.2 w/ 10spd

but yukon 2016+ , look for 6spd or 10spd (on newer ones) over the 8spd w/ 6.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic