Lifter issues - What Oil Did You Use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that had or have lifter issues (the dreaded collapsed lifter) what oil and filter did you use before the problem?

What oil and filter do you use now?

I am wondering after a comment made by the dealership mechanic as my truck was in the shop for a #6 collapsed lifter. I have sworn by synthetic oil for years. But a comment made by the dealership mechanic got me thinking. We all use 0W-20. We probably all use name-brand top-tier stuff. However, not all 0W-20 is the same.

Did you change oil, filter, brands, or anything after you got your ride back?

Another question - did the dealer replace only one cylinder, one bank, or all 16?

Any problems since?

I also wonder how-much start-stop contributes to this problem. I am not looking to bash oil brands or filter brands, just see if there is a trend on what people used that could have contributed to the problem. And see if I should change what I use going forward. Might be some interesting conclusions.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also like to know if those with failed lifters use the start/stop, or disabled it. I've had numerous issues with my 21 Yukon (built in June 2020) and always disable start/stop. It has always idled ruff, transmission still has intermittent hard up/down shifts and shudders sometimes. I won't even mention all the creaks and rattles I've had...

Just wonder if my disabling of the start/stop has increased my engine longevity, or not.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that had or have lifter issues (the dreaded collapsed lifter) what oil and filter did you use before the problem?

What oil and filter do you use now?

I am wondering after a comment made by the dealership mechanic as my truck was in the shop for a #6 collapsed lifter. I have sworn by synthetic oil for years. But a comment made by the dealership mechanic got me thinking. We all use 0W-20. We probably all use name-brand top-tier stuff. However, not all 0W-20 is the same.

Did you change oil, filter, brands, or anything after you got your ride back?

Another question - did the dealer replace only one cylinder, one bank, or all 16?

Any problems since?

I also wonder how-much start-stop contributes to this problem. I am not looking to bash oil brands or filter brands, just see if there is a trend on what people used that could have contributed to the problem. And see if I should change what I use going forward. Might be some interesting conclusions.

What kind of comment did this tech make?? Synthetic will outperform dino oil pretty much at every metric

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
When I’m interested in oil I usually research my concern over on the BITOG site, and when I bought a 2020 Colorado I did some reading. At that time, the consensus was that any brand sporting the Dexos approval certification was fine, as GM had written a very definitive specification that allowed little tolerance for the oil refineries to deviate.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a “suspect” engine regardless of whether it’s had problems or not,I would not deviate from AC Delco proper weight oil and filters. I would not give them any reason to blame you for alternate choices and try to weasel out of fixing anything. This is a pretty sad situation that GM needs to make right with all owners....

OP
OP
Kpwweb

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also like to know if those with failed lifters use the start/stop, or disabled it. I've had numerous issues with my 21 Yukon (built in June 2020) and always disable start/stop. It has always idled ruff, transmission still has intermittent hard up/down shifts and shudders sometimes. I won't even mention all the creaks and rattles I've had...

Just wonder if my disabling of the start/stop has increased my engine longevity, or not.

I turned off start-stop every time (I remembered). I don’t see how start-stop can help engine/starter/battery life while saving a very small amount of gas. Irony is when I wanted it to work-waiting in a long line of cars, for a train, etc the start stop would never turn the engine off. Pull up to an intersection for a couple of seconds and “stop”. Seems like it works when you least need it!

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mined failed at 6000 miles, I changed my oil at 500 miles to Mobil 1 0w-20 as recommended, though I really don't like oil that thin but I don't think the oil had anything to do with it. I run thicker oil in my other cars 10w-40 and 15w-50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs