Just put the '96 Burb back on the road for the winter and...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered I had a fuel leak upon the first fill-up. The same dreaded leak I had on a '98 Burb we had years ago. Right at the seam.
So I went shopping on the inner webs.

Yay, I found a new 42-gallon tank on RockAuto for $109!
But, they wanted $143 to ship it to me!

So I started my typical search for the best price.
Autozone - around $240, local pickup.
Advanced Auto - I couldn't seem to find one on their site.
Amazon - around $250(ish), free shipping.
Summit and CI were doing me no favors in price or shipping either, I felt.

AND THEN, OF ALL PLACES...
I found one on Walmart's site - $159, plus free shipping.
So I pulled the trigger.

I then proceeded to buy the pump lock ring, O-ring, tank straps, strap bolts on RockAuto.
I even broke down and bought the fuel line removal tool. No more using a small screwdriver the hard way LOL!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discovered I had a fuel leak upon the first fill-up. The same dreaded leak I had on a '98 Burb we had years ago. Right at the seam.
So I went shopping on the inner webs.

Yay, I found a new 42-gallon tank on RockAuto for $109!
But, they wanted $143 to ship it to me!

So I started my typical search for the best price.
Autozone - around $240, local pickup.
Advanced Auto - I couldn't seem to find one on their site.
Amazon - around $250(ish), free shipping.
Summit and CI were doing me no favors in price or shipping either, I felt.

AND THEN, OF ALL PLACES...
I found one on Walmart's site - $159, plus free shipping.
So I pulled the trigger.

I then proceeded to buy the pump lock ring, O-ring, tank straps, strap bolts on RockAuto.
I even broke down and bought the fuel line removal tool. No more using a small screwdriver the hard way LOL!
good luck, walmart is known to "cancel" orders after 2-3 days. keep your fingers crossed.
if you get a tracking number right away your good but man it's annoying buying off of walmart they don't seem to hold there 3rd party sellers to any standard.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have done RockAuto or the local parts store from those options.

Good thing you spotted the leak before storing it in your garage. A gas leak going undetected in vehicle sitting inside a garage for extended time is bad news.

OP
OP
Hoesgottaeat2

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck, walmart is known to "cancel" orders after 2-3 days. keep your fingers crossed.
if you get a tracking number right away your good but man it's annoying buying off of walmart they don't seem to hold there 3rd party sellers to any standard.
Thanks @Doubeleive.
I have used them several times in the last 2-3 years with pretty good success.
Keeping my fingers as you suggested, however.
This is a large item, and likely a bit little less common than many other auto parts they deal with.
So we'll see how it goes.

I have a full tank right now.
So if all goes as planned, I'll be close to an empty tank in time to replace it the weekend before Christmas.

OP
OP
Hoesgottaeat2

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have done RockAuto or the local parts store from those options.
I try to use RockAuto when I can. But the shipping cost? I couldn't get myself to swallow it, being of that magnitude.

Good thing you spotted the leak before storing it in your garage. A gas leak going undetected in vehicle sitting inside a garage for extended time is bad news.
Yes, for sure. If this thing was stored indoors, it would basically be like sitting on a bomb with a gas leak.
Fortunately, this being the winter beater, I store it outside in a section of stoned auxiliary parking we have off our driveway.
It's allowed to leak anything anytime it wants when parked there.
And believe me, she likes to leave a drip here and there just to let me know she's still alive LOL.

OP
OP
Hoesgottaeat2

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my tracking link from Walmart. It's shipped :thumbsup:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score

In case you haven’t seen them, this OTC 6509 worked pretty well on my 98. The end is narrower and gives you better clearance to get the lines off.

IMG_7499.jpeg

These two styles made me cuss and want to resort to violence…

IMG_7501.jpeg

OP
OP
Hoesgottaeat2

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good news just arrived in my inbox…

IMG_5036.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan