The Unexplainable, Unresolved issue an expert LS builder and Dealership can't figure out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck in your quest to solve the issue. I don't have any advice for you but hope you get it resolved

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the most likely place you will find a coolant leak is under the bottom of radiator or under the engine area (under water pump), you may want to get under there with a flashlight and look around real good, maybe even take the plastic cover off the bottom under there also for a better view, the smell would likely be pushed towards the front window drivers/passenger door area because of the hood, which may be why the smell is found there and not somewhere else, just a thought.....

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, I'm late to this party but, it sure sounds like the washer fluid or coolant as stated earlier.

Let us know...

bigblackdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Suburban, 60k miles.
Stock apart from shocks, and a few exterior trim pieces.

for now 6 months, I have noticed a ~Sweet Rubbing Alcohol" strong smell every time I start the Suburban.
This is extremely important as we have someone with a medical condition and cant deal with the smell and possibility of sipping in cabin. We use remote start a lot too....
The Smell is on driver side running from diver door wrapping itself to the back of the car.

Dealership relieved me from 180$ diagnostic fee to let me know:no smell found, recommend dropping fuel tank to inspect for potential leak and offering me to further lighting up my wallet another 580$ "just to see"

Yesterday, I felt particularly enthusiastic about taking the Suburban to a local Late Model Chevy independent shop. The shop was amazingly cleaned, adorned with trophies from various racing and car show victories.

They turned on the truck on and right away were able to smell same thing I am smelling.

The plug their diagnostic tool and looked for codes, the inspected for evidence of leaks. the commanded the charcoal canister to cycle (or to do something via the chevy diagnostic box thingy) to open up the canister and see if it was responsible for the smell. They also were able to inspect fuel tank with small camera, they said it was fine.

The couldn't find anything and told me it was probably something related to the area of the smell which could be:
Rear end (no sign of leak)
Rear A/C (A/C works fine, not sure)
or generally the 'Fuel Systems"

Feeling slightly demotivated I started thinking about how I could:

A)set the Suburban on fire in nearby deserted area.

B)google my way to oblivion trying to diagnostic it myself only to find out that WebMD suggest I might have some horrible medical condition.

C)Vent to my better half who doesn't care.

Thank for reading. Man I already feel better and accomplished.

Maybe you have your 2 cents to contribute, or maybe you just go back to reading something like:
"Installed 385/85r24 DIDN'T AFFECT MY MPG BRO and NO RUBBB!"

Or if someone find what is causing this horrible smell I will send you, and I am not kidding, a delicious fruit arrangement from ediblearrragments.com

a $49.99 value, free for you to solve my issue.

Dear Forum members: Thank you.

View attachment 205404
Someone nailed it with the washer lines. I was a GM tech for many years and left in 2015. I can't remember if the front washer lines run under the cowl (the grill at the base of the windshield) or not, models vary. I think they do, if so, a leaky joint in the fluid pipe system may still allow washer fluid to spray on the windshield but the scent get bundled in with the airflow over the blower motor into the car. If a line was broken, you would have no washer pressure and a pool of fluid under the vehicle when attempting to washer.
Do you have a rear wiper, you will if it is a liftgate vs side by side "barn doors". Is there a washer fluid tank in the rear? It may have a cracked filler neck or tank fissure allowing, again, the washer fluid scent to be picked up by the rear blower motor.
Do you have a sunroof? A washer fluid line with a tiny chafe may leak and enter the roof venting and trunking system. That being said, a "leak" will leave a footprint, low washer pressure and most likely a stain on the roof interior trim panel.
The rear wiper assembly gets it's feed for the washer through piping channeled through the body of the truck at the roofline adjoining the liftgate. Then into the liftgate and over to the wiper. In the case of my Yukon, the rear glass and gate open separately, so my rear wiper is below the rear glass.
Look for signs of washer fluid staining around all these body pass through grommets. look for staining on the bottom of the liftgate near the water drains. Watch closely as you operate the washers. It should, front and rear, be a strong pattern spray with good volume.
broken lines allow no fluid pressure, a broken tank will retain fluid only to the point of the break, so if frequent refills are required, you have an issue, but a leaking front tank won't create much smell. Leaking washer fluid leaves a dry stain the color of the fluid you use with a whitish crust. Check under the truck at the rear ac drain and look for what I described, if you have a rear reservoir for fluid.
Again, I have offered several suggestions as I don't know your particular truck's options. So, for example, you have no rear liftgate, forget looking in the back of the truck at all and focus on the washer fluid delivery system in the front.
I have volumes of useless information, feel free to ask. Best of luck

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I confess, aside from what's already been posted (I am leaning towards the windshield wiper fluid suggestion, only because I once put straight Windex in mine in a pinch and got a very strong odor of Ammonia while washing my windows one evening) I am at a loss for what this could be-
I will say this is, arguably, one of the best written, most entertaining posts I've read. So, ya know, kudos for offering mirth on the back of your suffering.
I'm also intrigued, by your description of the smell, it sounds to me like what old anti-freeze used to smell like, (still does, depending on type), and wonder if that's an issue.
Does the 2015 Suburban have an A/C "cabin filter"? Something that should be replaced/serviced every 50-60K miles? Totally spitballing in the hopes of receiving another witty post in retort.

Perhaps I should go check out the post regarding the new tires that fit and don't rub.

LOL.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Suburban does have a cabin filter and should be changed every 22,500 miles according to your owners manual.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I confess, aside from what's already been posted (I am leaning towards the windshield wiper fluid suggestion, only because I once put straight Windex in mine in a pinch and got a very strong odor of Ammonia while washing my windows one evening) I am at a loss for what this could be-
I will say this is, arguably, one of the best written, most entertaining posts I've read. So, ya know, kudos for offering mirth on the back of your suffering.
I'm also intrigued, by your description of the smell, it sounds to me like what old anti-freeze used to smell like, (still does, depending on type), and wonder if that's an issue.
Does the 2015 Suburban have an A/C "cabin filter"? Something that should be replaced/serviced every 50-60K miles? Totally spitballing in the hopes of receiving another witty post in retort.

Perhaps I should go check out the post regarding the new tires that fit and don't rub.

LOL.

I came to the realization that if I made my post a bit funny, maybe I would grab attention. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Since people seem to enjoy the format, my follow up shall be next level.
I will use terms that will likely make me shine and other Forum members will envy my replies.
I will "view watch" and "reply watch" this thread, ensuring that my feeling of being validated by this forum keeps growing.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If coolant system is still suspect, applying a pressure test tool will allow you to “listen” for leaks as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts