The Unexplainable, Unresolved issue an expert LS builder and Dealership can't figure out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If coolant system is still suspect, applying a pressure test tool will allow you to “listen” for leaks as well.

thank you very much that is further good input for the things to check for the coolant.

I am now confident I will find what is going on. I will do a reply soon to detail my plan of action and who inputed on what, I will make it interactive with you guys.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about an alcohol smell, but my Tahoe sometimes has a smell of melting crayons. I get this even with the AC on, so I don't think somebody dropped a crayon into the ventilation system.

Bestydahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't know about an alcohol smell, but my Tahoe sometimes has a smell of melting crayons. I get this even with the AC on, so I don't think somebody dropped a crayon into the ventilation system.
I have a 3 year old who shoves playdoh up his nose and then blows it out in all sorts of colors.... Am thinking crayons blowing out my vents would just be natural evolution

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Have you owned it the entire time or did you buy used? Is the smell coming from under the truck or from the inside? Dealing with customer complaints and trade ins, I found that some people dump airfresher into the vents. Sometimes the chemicals of the fragrance don’t mix with plastic and can create some unexplained smells. Or possible if you had your Truck detailed they shot some spray into the vents.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you owned it the entire time or did you buy used? Is the smell coming from under the truck or from the inside? Dealing with customer complaints and trade ins, I found that some people dump airfresher into the vents. Sometimes the chemicals of the fragrance don’t mix with plastic and can create some unexplained smells. Or possible if you had your Truck detailed they shot some spray into the vents.

This is not something at all I smell on the inside, the smell is on the outside when we are loading the vehicle. thats why I first thought it was leaking exhaust but was later told that it smells more like sweet rubbing alcohol.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

this is mine.... every time i move the visor from the parked position to the window i smell crayons :lol:

for the longest time i thought it was burning transmission fluid - it was just coincidental that in the mornings as i pulled onto the highway i move the visor to the window, and hammer down on it to get up to speed

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Dealership replace Evap Canister.
Didn't change a thing.
Convince me not to set this thing on fire and go get a Toyota something to haul kids around.
so sick of nobody able to diagnostic correctly the issue.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.
I like my Toyota.

Did anyone ever put fluorescent dye in the coolant and check for leaks? Specifically, in the interior, near the heater core?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent