New to the group - just picked up 95 Hoe 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big_Deddie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, I traded a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a 95 Tahoe over the weekend. Overall, it is in good shape but does have a few mechanical issues.

While I will do my own research through the forums, I would like to list the issues here to see if anyone has any answers - my biggest concerns are engine/transmission issues which is why I am posting here.

1) Engine stutters and misses. You can see/hear/feel it skipping at idle and you can definitely feel it when on the gas - almost like it is cutting out and no power. It will go...just won't go fast.

2) Before trading, I was informed that the transmission had some issues. I was under the impression that it didn't work at all. I have experience with rebuilding the 4L60e, so it didn't really bother me.
After arriving at the trader's location, I found out that the transmission will not shift between gears unless you left off the throttle. I immediately think it could be a shift solenoid or possible computer not sending the shift signal - which is usually a TPS issue. Worst case scenario - the 1st/4th band(s) need replacing - or a total gut and rebuild is in order. Anyway, I drove the vehicle home under it's own power - because it would not fit on my trailer.
Yesterday, I drove the Hoe up the road and back and found that it seemed to shift fine - so-long-as I wasn't holding the gas pedal to the floor. Under normal driving circumstances, it shifted as it was supposed to.
So, now I am back to thinking it is a TPS or a possible vacuum leak - which would also explain the stuttering in the engine.

3) Brake lights don't work. Turn signals work and tail lights work...just the brake lights don't work.

4) Driver side front window will not work (power window). I am guessing that it is either a switch or a motor issue

5) Key will not unlock passenger side door

6) Door handle on passenger side rear is broke and floppy - already read that this is a common issue.

7) Oil pressure gauge is showing really low - could be low on oil. Like an idiot, I did not check this before I drove it. It is also fluctuating quite a bit

8) Fuel gauge has a bouncing needle - usually stays around E, but will bounce up to 1/4 tank and then fluctuate in between those two.
**Funny insert** When I left the trader's house, I drove immediately to the gas station just to put enough in it to get me home. I put $10, but the first $2 went on the ground because the filler neck wasn't connected to the tank.

If anyone has any input on these, please feel free to chime in.

Tonight, I will be doing an oil change - along with adding some marvel mystery oil. I will be adding some tranny honey to the transmission. I will be removing the factory style air cleaner and replacing with an Edelbrock unit. I will also be replacing all the plugs (plug wires look new).

I have some Slick 50 engine treatment (for high mileage - 221k). Can this be added in with the Marvel and regular oil change? -OR- is this a shit product?

Thanks for taking the time to read and any input is appreciated.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 engine stuttering we can start with the basics
tune up
distributor needs to be rellaced
tps as stated common issue
2 shifting
tps as you thought a possibility here
3 brake lights
probably just your pedal switch
4 window
your probably correct just test for power from the switch to motor
5 door key
no idea did someone change the handle without giving you the other key
6 --
7 oil pressure
pressure sensor and port need cleaning or pressure sensor
also possible oil pump unsure on this one beyond the sensor issue but i have read anout issues with the oil pump.
8 fuel gauge
seems like someone was already playing with the tank check it out be surprised some of the stupid stuff people did and ignored or didnt motice.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d try a new TPS to see if it clears up the shifting and idle.

Is the check engine light on...any codes?

The flaky oil gauge could either be reading correctly or be a bad sender or cluster. Try a mechanical gauge in place of the sender to confirm.

On the fuel gauge, a new sending unit often takes care of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Big_Deddie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for such a delayed reply - I have been out of town for a few days.

Here is what I have done since the last post:
New TPS, fixed a short in one of the plug wires (wires look new and so does the distributor cap), also replaced one plug that was obviously not new. Checked a couple of others and they all looked new(er). I still might go ahead and replace them all - just for the sake of it.

This has improved the idle, but I still feel a miss, or a stutter, when driving it. Ignition coil???

The TPS did nothing for the shift problem like I had hoped it would. I am still leaning toward a rebuild on the transmission - unless anyone can convince me otherwise. I have already completely rebuilt a 4L60e before...I aint scared.

I have also installed a new brake light switch (that was a *****), but haven't had a chance to have anyone out there with me while we check to see if the brakes work. IF it makes any difference (and might give someone an idea), the turn signals seem to blink really fast - faster than what I would assume they normally do.
Also, the bulbs seemed to have been held in by some type of foam or glue - it was hard as a rock. Is it possible to just buy the bulb section of a tail light?

For the other questions or comments:
The only light on the dash has been the "check gauges" light when the oil pressure drops low. I am wondering if the sending unit is going out or maybe the oil pressure sensor or a clogged filter at the sending unit sensor?
There aren't any other check engine lights that I have noticed.

FastPat - I knew that Marvel wasn't going to be a cure in a bottle. Without knowing much about the mechanical history of this engine, I did not think it would hurt to add it to the oil when I changed it. Speaking of which, while the oil filter looked fairly new, the oil was as black as it could be.
Thanks for the link. Once I rule out the sending unit/sensor, this will be my next option.

If I can't get the oil and fuel gauges figured out, I plan on installing an A-pillar gauge pod with new mechanical gauges in it.

I haven't been able to devote as much time to this truck as I had hoped lately. I have also replaced a transmission mount on a lifted Nissan Titan and will soon be replacing an AC system on a Honda CR-V....maybe I should have been a mechanic instead of a mechanical engineer.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE