The Unexplainable, Unresolved issue an expert LS builder and Dealership can't figure out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Suburban, 60k miles.
Stock apart from shocks, and a few exterior trim pieces.

for now 6 months, I have noticed a ~Sweet Rubbing Alcohol" strong smell every time I start the Suburban.
This is extremely important as we have someone with a medical condition and cant deal with the smell and possibility of sipping in cabin. We use remote start a lot too....
The Smell is on driver side running from diver door wrapping itself to the back of the car.

Dealership relieved me from 180$ diagnostic fee to let me know:no smell found, recommend dropping fuel tank to inspect for potential leak and offering me to further lighting up my wallet another 580$ "just to see"

Yesterday, I felt particularly enthusiastic about taking the Suburban to a local Late Model Chevy independent shop. The shop was amazingly cleaned, adorned with trophies from various racing and car show victories.

They turned on the truck on and right away were able to smell same thing I am smelling.

The plug their diagnostic tool and looked for codes, the inspected for evidence of leaks. the commanded the charcoal canister to cycle (or to do something via the chevy diagnostic box thingy) to open up the canister and see if it was responsible for the smell. They also were able to inspect fuel tank with small camera, they said it was fine.

The couldn't find anything and told me it was probably something related to the area of the smell which could be:
Rear end (no sign of leak)
Rear A/C (A/C works fine, not sure)
or generally the 'Fuel Systems"

Feeling slightly demotivated I started thinking about how I could:

A)set the Suburban on fire in nearby deserted area.

B)google my way to oblivion trying to diagnostic it myself only to find out that WebMD suggest I might have some horrible medical condition.

C)Vent to my better half who doesn't care.

Thank for reading. Man I already feel better and accomplished.

Maybe you have your 2 cents to contribute, or maybe you just go back to reading something like:
"Installed 385/85r24 DIDN'T AFFECT MY MPG BRO and NO RUBBB!"

Or if someone find what is causing this horrible smell I will send you, and I am not kidding, a delicious fruit arrangement from ediblearrragments.com

a $49.99 value, free for you to solve my issue.

Dear Forum members: Thank you.

s_Del_Celeb_1645_E54_w_Save10.jpg

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be a tiny tiny leak of Dexcool?

UrbanSuburban,

Where does the Dexcool travels back and forth? is it just engine to radiator and back? or is it used to go somewhere else like rear A/C, Rear entertainment (joking), etc...?
thank for your reply

Ryan212

Reaction score
Dexcool goes into the cabln for the heatercore (at least it does in most vehicles not 100% on the suburban, but it most likely does)

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what has alcohol in your truck? The washer fluid. Where do the washer fluid lines go? Up near the air intake for the cabin. Check your lines for leaks.

I will try that.
I can easily empty it out and put water in its place to see if it changes things.
my issue with this is that I dont smell anything close to engine bay but rather on driver side front front to back.

I will investigate that and the coolant for possible leak.

the smell is much stronger than just washing fluid it smells to me like vaporized coolant now that first reply suggest.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try that.
I can easily empty it out and put water in its place to see if it changes things.
my issue with this is that I dont smell anything close to engine bay but rather on driver side front front to back.

I will investigate that and the coolant for possible leak.

the smell is much stronger than just washing fluid it smells to me like vaporized coolant now that first reply suggest.

Ok, washer fluid goes from in front of the LF tire and services the front windshield and also runs all the way to the rear window too. I believe the line is inside the cab like on my Pontiac but never checked.

The heater core lines leak at their connections at the back of the motor against the firewall just off center to the passenger side. The heater core is under the dash inside the huge airbox.

Man, I was all set to surprise my wife with an edible arrangement! LOL

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, washer fluid goes from in front of the LF tire and services the front windshield and also runs all the way to the rear window too. I believe the line is inside the cab like on my Pontiac but never checked.

The heater core lines leak at their connections at the back of the motor against the firewall just off center to the passenger side. The heater core is under the dash inside the huge airbox.

Man, I was all set to surprise my wife with an edible arrangement! LOL

Thanks that is some precise things for me to check. I will let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons